You're absolutely correct and Mom doesn't understand eclipses. The eclipse is no different from looking at the Sun normally - and the animals know it hurts to look at the Sun so they don't. And of course you don't either because it hurts your eyes too. Animals don't know about the eclipse...
Best answer: You're absolutely correct and Mom doesn't understand eclipses. The eclipse is no different from looking at the Sun normally - and the animals know it hurts to look at the Sun so they don't. And of course you don't either because it hurts your eyes too. Animals don't know about the eclipse and just react normally. It won't hurt them because they know not to let it.
It has been known for birds to react to a total eclipse by going quiet because they think night has come, and when light comes back afterwards, they think it's morning again and start the dawn chorus! Nature can go eerily quiet during a total eclipse. It doesn't understand what it is.
Actually during totality, when the Sun is totally blotted out, it's OK to look. But this only lasts a couple of minutes and when the Moon moves on out of the way, of course the sensible thing is to stop looking. It's only the stupid human animal that insists on looking at it that can cause itself any retinal damage!
Are you actually on the path of totality anyway? It's only a few miles wide, so in the vast majority of the US, it will be a partial eclipse and you probably won't notice anything's happening. Even with 90% of the Sun covered, the other 10% is bright enough that you won't notice the day getting significantly darker, maybe no more than on a normal day with dark clouds.
I know as I've been through a couple of very large partial eclipses and that's what it was like. LOL I remember the August 1999 one which was total right on the south coast of Cornwall, England, so here in London it was 90%+ partial. It got a bit gloomy but that was about all. So I mostly watched it on TV, which involved Patrick Moore (the late astronomer who used to present "The Sky at Night" every month) standing on a Cornish beach saying "it's cloudy and we can't see anything". Now as this is about normal for British weather, the BBC had sent up a plane to fly above the clouds and get better pictures. So I got the best view by staying indoors.
16 hours ago