Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

What is the difference between the following:-sadhu,rishi ,muni, sant,yogi, mahatma,sidhiyogi.?

vedas,upanishads,

8 Answers

Relevance
  • mr. x
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago
    Best answer

no difference

• 1 decade ago

normally not much of difference...all are away from materialism and are progressing on spirituality however little diff. can be

Sadhu --- The who has renunciated the world and living alone

Rishi - Sadhu who has progressed a lot...and stays in his Ashram while teaching others about God

Muni - A Rsihi who lives alone..and normally does not impart knowedge..but busy in his own quest further

Sant - One who knows the truth... he may be living with family but will be busy in propagating the truth

Yogi - The one who does Yoga (Pranayama, Hathha yoga, kundalini yoga etc) and has got full control over his Prana

Mahatama - is senior of Sant... he may be living among the massess with family..but has detached himself from wordly lusts

Siddha yogi... a Yogi who has mastered some sort of Yoga and have got siddhis connected to that yoga

VEDAS : The most ancient books about Truth...They start from as low as telling about a Yagya for rain... goes highest to attaining Moksha

Upanishadas.: Later explanations about Truth..as experienced by different rishis.

• 1 decade ago

Sadhu - the one who is generous & honest in nature

Rishi - the one who is Gyani, who meditates, does yagya, runs an Ashram & teaches his pupils

Muni - one grade below Rishi & generally travels a lot.

Sant - again who is harmless to any living thing on planet

Yogi - the meditator & who practices yogic asans to atain higher level of spirituality

Mahatma - Any soul who does great deal for the upliftment & well being of fellow humans

Sidhiyogi - the yogi who has achieved some sidhis (powers) using meditation / prayers / hardships

Vedas- -the base of hinduism( Rigved, Atharved, saamved, Yajurved)

Upnishads - meaning of vedas simplified by learned yogis & rishis.

i hope i answered them correctly as per my knowledge.

Source(s): expirence & Hinduism
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

All are different names for ascetics in hinduism

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

No difference at all, these words belong to religious and god fearing men

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

hinduism

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

No difference.

They are all cheats.

You are wasting your time.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

i dont know

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.