Are microwave ovens really illegan in Russia?

Read in a health-diet book that "Russians have outlawed the use (of microwave ovens)". I find this hard to believe. Shed some light on the issue? Thanks

Please provide a reference in your response. Saying "i don't know" or "i don't think so" doesn't constitute an answer.

Favorite Answer

"Why did the Soviet Union ban the use of microwave ovens in 1976? Who invented microwave ovens, and why? The answers to these questions may shock you into throwing your microwave oven in the trash."

If there is a leak in Microwave oven it can kill a person by interfearing with pace maker if the person has one on him.

This may be the reason for it I am not aware of its band . Most places put up a notice simply "Microwave in use".

If you are near a Microwave oven do not look inside, avoid as far as possible. If it is leaking enough you will notice it and feel it shut it down or let it time out and you put a distance between you and the oven. The wave travel in the straight line so moving to the side is the best protection.

Did you know that microwaves were first marketed as Radar Ranges? I am a cancer survivor and I want to get all the nutrients out of my food that I possibly can. A study published in the November 2003 issue of The Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture5 found that broccoli "zapped" in the microwave with a little water lost up to 97 percent of its beneficial antioxidants. By comparison, steamed broccoli lost 11 percent or fewer of its antioxidants.

They were banned in Russia in 1976 after studies proved they did bad things to your food. The ban has been lifted. A quick google search of "Russia banned Microwaves" will list a number of sites that summarize the findings of those studies.

• ?

it's a health-diet book! they can write whatever they want! I've got a microwave oven and they are widely sold all over the country

don't believe everything you read!!!

• undir

Thank you for making me laugh. No, microwave ovens are not illegal in Russia. They may not be very popular among Russians, but they're not illegal. In this context, the word "outlawed" is not meant literally. It just means that microwave ovens are unpopular among Russians.

• April

this is not true. There were no microwaves in Russia in 1976, but that's b/c Soviet industry was busy building weapons, not bourgeois luxuries.

That's definitely not true. I had one. My friends had one. You can buy them in shops. They're not very popular compared to U.K. or U.S. though. Russian cuisine isn't really conducive to microwave cookery.

Source(s): Living in Russia

Absolutley not. If russia allows nude weather reporters I dont think they mind microwaves

No they are nt at all banned up there but there has been a lot of furore regarding it unnecessarily.