What the hell is an "SQL server"?!? why isn't it connected, and what can I do to fix it?

there's this little icon on the bottom of my desktop that says "not connected" when i roll my mouse over it. when i click it, a box pops up titled "SQL server service manager". below that are two boxes, one labeled "server", the second "services". there's an option... show more there's this little icon on the bottom of my desktop that says "not connected" when i roll my mouse over it. when i click it, a box pops up titled "SQL server service manager". below that are two boxes, one labeled "server", the second "services". there's an option to "refresh services" and start, stop, and pause buttons. I DON'T KNOW WHAT ALL THIS MEANS! what purpose does the SQL server have? if you have any ideas on how i can fix it, i would really appreciate your help!