why is my bowel irritable. i know the common answers which don't help?

aloe vera is the answer, it cured mine, better than anything the doc prescribed

Also called, Functional Bowel Syndrome (FBS), it "is a disorder characterized most commonly by cramping, abdominal pain, bloating, constipation, and diarrhea. IBS causes a great deal of discomfort and distress, but it does not permanently harm the intestines and does not lead to a serious disease, such as cancer. "

I had that many years ago and it was disabling when it hit me. I came to find that when I worked on my problematic stress, that also was threatening to give me an ulcer too, I began to get rid of it. When I was the most stressed, the FBS would flare up. I use to get myself a loaf of French bread, some mild cheddar cheese, and Mogan David wine. Sipping the wine and slowly eating the cheese and bread calmed the episode down. I don't know why it worked, it just did. I can not say it will work for others.

I also started working on my stress levels and added a lot of fiber to my diet. I had FBS for about a year, but once I started working on the stress and fiber, it went away and never has come back, but then, neither has my stress problem.

• Nani

I developed IBS in 1976 when I was 23 going on 24 and I have had to take bentyl for it ever since. I have tried to get off of it but it doesn't go away. I divorced in 1980 so I could no longer blame my husband and the band he was in. I did keep my son (lol) but even he married and moved out in 1994 so it is not stress from home and I have been on disability as of 1995 so I can't say it is work. I have a small dog so I get lots of love. It just never went away. I changed Diet, Living conditions,everything and I still have it I WISH YOU GOOD LUCK AND HOPE YOU GET WELL.

Source(s): Life with IBS for 30 years if they find a cure please post it

I have suffered IBS since giving birth 22 years ago, regularly ask doctor if there is anything on the market for it and always told no. So I now take anti-diahorea tablets just so I can go to work each day. Bad I know but I need to go to work I cant afford not to and dont get sick pay if I am off!

Try and make notes of what you eat for a couple of weeks and note if you have any bowel trouble. Try and see if there are any connections with certain foods.

Alternatively, ask your GP to refer you to a nutritionist who can help you eliminate possible causes and explain the reasons why certain foods react with different people.

Good luck.

pick up this book, prescription for natural healing THIRD EDITION. It's written by Phyllis A. Balch, cnc and James F. Balch, M.D. It will contain your answers, what to take and do and why and how it helps.

Common answers r usually why it's irritable. It has to be one of those reasons.

• Lyn K

no one can tell u why,thats why !!!irritable bowel syndrome is an "idiopathic" illness,i.e-cause unknown.so,as of now,even ur dr. cant tell u the EXACT,DEFINITIVE cause of this very common problem.it seems to involve an inco-ordination between nerve impulses from brain/gastrointestinal system-no one is sure as yet WHY this inco-ordination develops.research is being done,and the cause/cure should be forthcoming.it is one of the prime reasons for time off from work,etc. good luck!

Source(s): former nurse
  • Vivian

1

Source(s): GERD Disease Treatment http://acidrefluxcure.netint.info/?78A5
  • JustMe

I suggest trying all natural Optiflora. This two-product system includes Probiotic (Bifidus & Acidophilus...microflora) + Prebiotic (FOS...food source for microflora). Patented guaranteed delivery of 500 million microflora to intestines. It's very effective in treating this condition and one of my favorite supplements.

Hope this is helpful and feel free to contact me with questions.

Too much stress. Doc prescribed the purple pill (Nexium, Prevacid) which I didn't take at first because it's only advertised for acid reflux. But I was wrong. Once I started taking it, It helped everything. Stomach ulcer, colon, etc.

go see your doctor!!!

that said, do you have irritable bowel syndrome? perhaps that's why. how long have you had this? have you changed your diet recently? could it be the flu?

seriously, go see your doctor!!!