What is lacking in our present education system and how can we make sustainable changes to correct it?

Follow
  • Follow publicly
  • Follow privately
  • Unfollow
A good education system is fundamental to a nation that wants to be economically and otherwise independent. In my view, India still has a long way to go to reach this goal. As a ...show more
Best AnswerAsker's Choice
  • Hiren answered 7 years ago
Very Good Question. The issue is not only about doing away with evaluation on the basis of bookish knowledge and memory but what to do in its place?To my mind, the word "bookish" actually implies impractial and therefore we should cover all aspects(big picture) of what maybe deemed practical education instead of just discussing the curriculum.

Even mystics like Osho and Krishnamurthy have said that through Education alone, social transformation is possible and both also stressed the need for education to fulfill its real purpose- help the child find his vocation in life. I could not trace the link of the origninal article "As a Parent" by Wipro Chairman Azim Premji but his words are worth repeating :-

"The primary purpose of a school is to guide the child’s discovery of herself and her world and to identify and mature the child’s talents. Just as each seed contains the future tree, each child is born with infinite potential. In the article he suggests that many teachers and parents try to be potters instead of Gardners in moulding their children’s future.” Imagine a school in which sees children as seeds to be nurtured-here the teacher is a gardner who tries to bring out the potential already present in the child. This is very different from the current view which sees the child as clay to be moulded where the teachers and parents are potters deciding what shape the clay should take. There is an old Chinese saying ,” Give a seed to a potter and you shall have a bonsai." In a nutshell, as a teacher and parent, be a gardner, not a potter..

The great Phislosopher Socrrates had said "Education is not the filling of a vessel but the kindling of a flame". The word Education itself comes from the word "Educere" which means to bring out what is already in and not blindly stuff in. The purpose of Education is to detect talent proactively. For this, it is essential that education has to be based on application and intelligence( with open book exams wherever necessary) instead of trying to test memory of knowledge. This is especially so in the era of internet where everybody can have the knowledge but it is only one's intelligence with which one can distinguish or differentiate oneself. Memory does not have that much significance since everything is there on the net- its application that should matter and be tested. Since people tend to remember more of what they happen to be interested in, memory can be a tool to know vocation instead of an end in iteself. Children can be made aware of main memory techniques.

Einstein had said that Imagaination is more important than knowledge. Each person's imagaination is diffferent and therefore he has to be guided correctly to chose his occupation in life where he is going to spend a majority of waking hours. Not doing so would be disastrous as pointed out by so many of our spiritual stalwarts on this blog- http://mypyp.wordpress.com/2005/10/10/qu... Swami Vivekanand said "Education is the manifestation of perfection already present in man"- Unless there is perfection in education, that perfection cannot be drawn out.Real education should enable you to find out what is uniquely you. That is what matters in practical life, not bookish knowledge.

Natural talent often manifests well without any formal coaching. I played lawn Tennis for several years but was not satisfied with the backhand(bane of many racquet games). My younger brother got it right in the first week itself without any coaching in such a brilliant manner that many players complimented him. My wife is qualified in English hons but it is me, an MBA who has written articles and poems for magazines and newspapers. Similarly, she does certain business work much better than I do. My father does much better trading in shares than me despite not having any formal training in Technical analysis(graphs) which I have. I once worked in a company where the rise of one person was much faster than four others though all of them were from the same batch from the same institute. Talent is more important than the tool(knowledge).

There was an article recently that corporate india was willing to take only 20% of the total pool because people coming out of institutes were not practically talented. This is because functional,operative, practical talent in the corporate world is different from analysis taught in MBA schools. Also, MBA is about analysis but real life is about synthesis which is completely different. Even in the engineering context, John Adair, in his book, effective innovation while giving the example of a trained artist who excelled as an inventor concluded that “Engineering is just a state of mind. You do not need a vaste amount of knowledge” All this clearly shows that process(imagination & thinking) is more important than input(knowledge) especially memorized bookish knowledge. We should give equal if not more importance to humotech in addition to looking for biotech and infotech.

Since not too much knowlege is required for talented people, short term courses should be availalable for those who may have made a wrong choice of occupation.

Even in our Shastras it is given that the Sukshma(subjective-person) is more important than the sthula(objective-knowledge ). What a person does with a particular knowledge is more important than knolwedge per se and to detect that, personal attention has to be given- the kind of personal attention that is given by a Tennis coach when he feeds 60 balls to his pupil one after another and monitors close progress. Then it is possible to discvoer that person's Svadharma(purpose in life according to Shastras). Each of the Pandavas being unique in their own way, one of the teachings of the Mahabharat is to develop your unique quality. Even generally "Teaching the student teaches the teacher"- more so if the teacher tries to study the student.

It would not be out of place to mention here that the initiator of Lateral thinking, Edward de Bono had stated that thinking should be taught in schools because many intellectuals/knowledgeble people were poor thinkers. Thinking also helps in detecting potential. In India's context, not making lateral thinking a part of formal education is absurd because the greatest post independent rags to riches story ( Dhirubhai Ambani) was because of lateral thinking:-
http://www.lifepositive.com/Mind/persona...
Other kinds of thinking can also be taught.

It should be mentioned here that countries like Russia have made chess compulsory to force students to think logically. Sites like braingle.com insist that mind games also form a part of conginitive reserve and should be a part of formal education. This is in the context of Ralph Waldo Emerson's "Concentration is the secret of success in politics, in war - in all management of human affairs". Concentration can be because of interest or one could say mental strength -both should be monitored.

Education must also impart good vocational and physical training and inculcate values to respect all vocations/professions- that is something we have to learn from the United States where a janitor can talk to a professor on one to one basis on the same table as an equal. The caste system which determines occupations by birth is fundamentally incorrect. All that also causes inter-personal problems in practical management.

In books like "Karma, Destiny and Career", it is given what can happen if you try to pursue an exalted occupation(lawyer, doctor) when in reality your real vocation maybe relatively humble(carpenter, plumber). In New york, a child psychologist became a taxi driver because driving was his passion.(This may seem absurd but normally people seeking artistic satisfaction have such problems) Therefore, formal education should give equal respect to all occupations and people should be respected for what they are instead of snobishness of degrees and qualifications associated with certain exalted professions.

It would not be out of place to mention here that some people who have won nobel prixes(DNA, Microchip) have admitted that not being too formally qualified was an advantage because they could get creative ideas. This is in the context of "Knowledge is food for the ego". If you feel you already know too much, you can't get creative ideas. Students should be aware of all this.(does not imply that one should not be well qualified)

In the Unnited States, one of the ways of dealing with work-misfits is to ask them "What interest did you have as a child?"Why not nip the problem in the bud- when the person is a child? I have come across around 30 Americans who have written books on this subject. This American site summarises best what the education system should be doing:-

http://www.careerspice.com/employee_sear...

J.krishnamurthy has even advocated small schools for the purpose of detecting the child's potential . It is very important that each teacher should also be trained as a vocational psychologist and talent scout so that the student does not choose the wrong profession and suffer for life- "The person who has found his vocation is life is a blessed human being. Let him ask for no other blessedness"- Thomas Carlyle.

All this covers management of self(knowing oneself). Children should also be taught practical management of money(people suffer because of lack of accounting knowledge) and practical psychology( management of people). Nobody in practical life can escape management of money and people.

There still seems to be some hesitation on teachers part where computers are concerned- computers have made possible what Shri Aurobindo said "The teacher should be a guide(not a sage on stage but a guide on the side) and not an instructor and encourage the student to discover the answer for himself". Children should know all main microsoft products thoroughlly word, excel, power point , access(programming insught).. Online education maybe convenient but some personal attention from teacher is a must.

Another good thing krishnamurthy suggested was that children must be taught to appreciate nature as a part of formal education from early childhood so that when they grow up, they have some reservations in detroying mother earth if they happen to be in conflict.

In India, empahsis should also be given to team work and group dyanmics because Indians have a poor reputation of working in teams. India has a competitive advantage vis-a-vis China (English has been made compulsory there)currently but many Indians cannot speak and write English fluently despite studying in English medium schools. Efforts should be made to ensure that Indians know colloquial English since India cannot afford to lose that advantage.

There is a difference between being wise, being knowledgeable, being well informed and being intelligent- such disctinction should be clearly made to the students so that some of their false and baseless fears subside and there is a reduction in the number of board exam suicides which have gone up considerably in the past five years. Students should also be trained to be wary of "Information pollution" since they confuse being knowledgeable with intelligence which is why this is such a relevant question.

Last but not the least, people keep talking of instilling "values". Citing real life examples, it should be explained that everything that is good(Actor Naseerudin Shah) is not commercially successful(Actor Govinda) and vice-versa. There are other examples of the goddess of wealth(laxmi) and the goddess of knowledge(Saraswati) not being directly proportional.(Jab Taqdeer maherbaan, tab gadha pahelwaan) So judging success by money alone and blindly pursuing can be silly and counterproductive at times-better to teach that through practical examples rather than give theoretical lecture on "values"

Practical knowledge is best-Osho specified that there is a difference between knowledge(Bookish) and knowing(expereience). With role plays and group dynamics, the latter can be imparted in some disciplines and not lleft to the vagaries of practical experience.

The twenty first century is expected to be stressful and therefore yoga and meditation should also be taught properly in schools. Physical fitness was stressed by Swami Vivekanand and we have a lot to learn from the western world just the way they learn yoga from us.

Unfourtnately, Education has become a business and nobody is bothered about the real purpose of education and one ends up paying more in donation and not getting any real education. Its a loss both ways like "Heads I win, Tails you lose". Whether it is education or anything else, unless there is a continous and consistent monitering mechanism, nobody shall be accountable and nothing shall have lasting success.

This may seem an exaggerated answer but I am trying to answer the word "bookish" and trying to give a practical alternative in totality both from readings and practical experience(without that one cannot relate with what one reads) from diverse perspectives. Many examples(my own family disbelived without them) are given to substantiate views with conviction since I am not an expert on education.

Asker's Rating & Comment

4 out of 5
Thanks to all those who participated. There were some really terrific answers. Congratulations, Hiren for a thorough and informative answer. I liked the "not a sage on stage but a guide on the side" line. You emphasized practicality and nature and made some good points quoting great minds.

Enjoy!
  • Comment

Other Answers (700)

Rated Highest
  • Rated Highest
  • Oldest
  • Newest
  • Aamil answered 7 years ago
    Our Present education system is bogged down because of several reasons

I as a student would like to enumerate some of these

One
    There is the rote learning system that we have been encouraging for centuries
    Original and innovative thinking is not encouraged and so talent rots while memory triumphs

Two
    The teachers today in most institutions lack the interest with which teachers taught in the 80s and 90s
    This creates a lack of interest among students as well who do not participate in class activities as much as they should

Three
    The syllabi for most boards in India are incomplete and do not carry a clear cut explanation of concepts
    This makes it difficult for the learner to grasp the meaning of the text and apply it

Four
    Our System is academically biased and does not pay much attention to the other activities that are essential for over-all development of an individual....which creates an under-confident
    personality

All these factors come together to make the Indian Education system suffer and the Indian student face creative restriction
    • Comment
  • liketoaskq answered 7 years ago
    I am very happy to answer this question and i use to think a lot about the flaw in our education system not only as a student but also when i started my career as a lecturer-ECE, working for 5 years in late 80s.

1. Rote memory based learning is emphasised from KG level. Analytical and reasoning skills are discouraged and crushed at the elementary level itself.

2. School curriculum is treated like a religion and in my own experience, the first assault on my reasoning was to memorise and vomit "Jana gana mana..." -

3. This blind education continues for 12 years and by this time the young brain is completely brain washed and starts believing that everything written in a book is ultimate and already everything has been invented by a white man.

4. University education - There is no relationship between the Industry and the institution. I know professors teaching electrical engineering for ages but have not visited a power station in their life.

The reason for our sucess in IT field is because of the easy access to PC. Our education is not skill based and outdated. If you visit any engineering college, you will be surprised to find that most of the final year B.E students have nothing much to do and will be going around for project work. You spend 4 or 6 years studying computer science and the moment you come out, the entire market has changed and expecting different skills.

A HR director of a US company once told me, " I get the best and the worst candidates from India. My biggest dilemma is when i ask them about a specific job skill and experience which is not required for that position, they always say "YES".
    • Comment
  • lathika r answered 7 years ago
    lacking personality development lessons,lacking moral and ethical teachings,lacking lessons to become an individual beyond ,religion, region and barrier of language.lacking enough lessons to be a responsible citizens beyond the boundary.As India is one country syllabus of teaching should be same though out India with choices of subjects and additional language.Same language should be used as a teaching medium through out India .This will make one India in the mind of all
    • Comment
  • Vikas Gupta answered 7 years ago
    Our current education is not too bad that we are lacking because of it but students should gain the most important thing in their life's.
    Make a life skill book compulsory for all classes which will suggest them what they should do at their age.
    The students are being misguided by television somewhere. The students are copying the style of their favourite actors and had started smoking on such a small age.
    Some books should be meant for students in which they will learn the harmful effects of these things.
    Basically these things always matters in our life. Our character is the most important thing to be good in society. So for that purpose also, education system should be changed accordingly.
    • Comment
  • bfrank answered 7 years ago
    Wow! What a great question. You have hit the nail on the head. But from your bio, it’s obvious that you are a talented person and a sensitive writer. So thank you for directing attention to this issue.

As a USAmerican, of course, I cannot adequately address your question about education in India. I can only tell you what appears to me, as a long-term teacher and a one-time university dean, what seems to have gone wrong with public education in the USA and, briefly, how it might be improved.

Public schools have been expected to fulfill too many roles in our society and, frankly, in some ways, our expectations have been too high. For too many parents, public schools are primarily day care for children and foster care for adolescents. For too many communities, public schools are the source of inexpensive athletic competition and community spirit. For too many businesses, public schools are the places where young people are conditioned to become compliant employees. For too many politicians, I fear, public schools have become the places where prospective voters and taxpayers learn enough to stay off welfare and to provide the services that consumers need but not enough to question manipulative, Machiavellian campaigning nor secretive, often corrupt governmental practices.

But the primary goal of public schools in a participatory democracy (as opposed to the imperialistic oligarchy, which the USAmerica is becoming) is to prepare good citizens. We have often parroted the old cliche that schools should teach youngsters readin’, writin’, and ‘rithmetic. If we were serious about preparing good citizens, we would teach youngsters not only to read but to read critically, actively seeking for information to answer their own questions and actively questioning information and opinions that seem inaccurate or unfounded. If we were serious about preparing good citizens, we would teach youngsters not only to write, but to write thoughtfully and effectively in order to convey information, explore ideas, enter public discourse, raise significant issues, and satisfy the human need for self-expression (well, maybe to write good love letters, too—but perhaps that’s a by-product of a good education). If we were serious about preparing good citizens, we would teach not only basic mathematics, but the processes of using quantitative thinking and logic to understand statistical reasoning, economic problems in a capitalistic society, the pressures of corporate financing, and ways to manage and understand one’s own personal finances—in other words, not just basic math but also basic economics.

What would need to be changed to produce good public schools for contemporary USAmerica? I fear that currently we try to do too many things and do few of them well. High-school students may be enrolled in as many as seven to ten subjects. In my opinion, reform in curriculum from kindergarten through grade 14 (community colleges in our country) should focus on just four areas of study:

(1) Communication: the critical understanding of written language, oral language, and mediated communication (such as television, film, multi-media presentations, popular arts, and the like) and on the effective production of written language, oral language, and mediated communication (in other words, writing, speaking, multi-media presentations—and deciding which medium would be most effective for which message). Communication should address personal, public, and global communication, including foreign language and the art as well as the problems of translation.

(2) Citizenship: especially an understanding of government, economics, and international relations. Nowadays in USAmerican schools, the social sciences given the most attention are psychology (especially personal psychology) and sociology. Political science (or civics), economics, and international relations are never required and too rarely elected.

(3) Humanities: exploration of important human expression and ideas through history, mythology, religion, philosophy, and the arts. Youngsters should be provided opportunities to respond humanistically as well as to understand intellectually, to use the arts in response to ideas, experiences, and the study of the arts. Notice that the study of literature here is balanced with the visual and performing arts, not isolated from the humanities curriculum and allowed to dominate the communications curriculum.

(4) Reasoning, scientific and mathematical, with emphasis on the practical application of scientific methods and quantitative reasoning for all students, and more specialized courses available for students with demonstrated aptitude and/or interests. Such pressing immediate problems as personal health, urban planning, energy needs, natural resources, global warming, and future technology should be considered from a scientific point of view by all students of all abilities and all ages.

Finally, I would add one dimension of school curriculum too often neglected in contemporary USAmerican schools: the news of the day. What are the current, local, and personal implications of each of the topics studied? Current issues and local concerns might well be the basis for the communications curriculum, but even in the study of history, consideration should always be given to questions such as, How does this historical event impinge on our current, everyday lives? What are the parallels between this historical period and our own? What is the relative importance of understanding and remembering this historic decision? Studies of the humanities and the sciences should always be conducted with an eye toward current news, local as well as regional, national, and global news. The various curricula should include historial background as well as contemporary dimensions; for example, the history of ideas and the arts, of religion and science, as well as the history of governments, economies, and national entites—the history of work as well as the history of war!

Such a rigorous reform of curriculum would have immense implications for the recruitment, preparation, and compensation of teachers; for the planning and management of school facilities and resources; and for the public financing of public education.

In USAmerican schools, it is high time for the 3 r’s to give way to the Big Four: CCHR=Communication, Citizenship, Humanities, Reasoning.

(Well, somewhere in our society all children should be taught early on to run, bike, swim, dance, cook, and play he guitar, but that’s another whole question.)

Again, thank you for your Question. Enjoy exploring all these responses. That should be a test of your thinking skills!
    • Comment
  • koushika n answered 7 years ago
    Our education system is of information oriented and it does not give an opportunity for a student to think and analyse the theory already proved by someone.Simply children are forced to learn things and store them in their brain for the sake of scoring marks in the examination point of view to get into a good college.They are not given enough time to analyse the concept taught by the teacher and teacher himself may not be having thorough knowledge in his subject.The syllabus must be more of practical oriented.Students must be accessed through their creative skills, analysing capacity,reasoning power and finally by their memorising power.Instead in our system of education we are forcing the children to byheart and spending much time in subjects like history, language etc.,which contains a vast portion to be memorised by the students there by loosing their precious time and that time can be utilised for subjects like mathematics, science to improve their knowledge.From the childhood we are not allowing the child to question us and we also do not spend time to give the child the right answer due to lack of time, Instead we are compelling them to do their homework .Gradually the children looses their interest and curiosity about the things they come across.Even in the higher classes, students display their talents once in a while ie, on a project day and rest of the year they are confined to their text books only. when Countries like Japan had shown a dramatic improvement in science and technology, we Indians having a vast human power are wasting our brains by not nurturing them at the right time of our life and not handling them efficiently.The root of the development of our country lies in the heart of our education system. So,our education system must be totally changed and that should contain a syllabus that must bring out the hidden talents in the young minds and their ideas with a broad vision.In the cursed system of examination we put our children under lots of stress and strain which is of no use for them in aquiring the required knowledge and ultimately spoiling the health of our future India. Even the freshers from colleges lack the working skills and are dejected by the companies in the placement campus.Only few could survive out of many students.The problem is that they are not good at their basics which were taught to them in school levels.Finally I would like to say that the education syllabus must induce interest in the minds of students in all stages of their learning and no child should get aversion towards studies.The concerned people in the department of education must study the different education systems around the world and consider the advantages and implement them successfully to enlight the vision 2020 of our president .Definitely our 100 crores brains are utilised properly we can rule the world in science and technology

Source(s):

self written
    • Comment
  • nilanjan c answered 7 years ago
    India as a country has never been innovative and ingenous. it emanates from our age old superstitious Hinduism, which has always taught people to be docile and acceopt everything for granted. The era, when Europe was developing reasoning, based on rationality and logic, we were still pondering on explanations of age old and outdated scriptures like Vedas and Puranas. The disgusting education system which we still have is due our inability to disreragrd and question some useless traditions. Even the information technology revolution, which is so much bandied around now in India should be taken with a pinch of salt.What are we exactly doing? It is simply clerical and back office work, no research, no innovation. Even if you comapre the articles written by majority of academicians of the Indian Universities, those are so superficial and simplistic. We lack the habit of critical analysis. The way the subjects are taught in Indian schools can make a bunch of clerks but not thinkers. Even if anybody, in order to refute my argument, cites the name of famous Indian academicians like Amrtya Sen, Kaushik Basu or Deepak La or Sugata Bose,we should not forget that they are the products of Western educational institutions. We as a nation, with the current education system is destined to do the jobs in which we have a comparative advantage of cheap labour. Indian people cannot think from different perspectives, they have a linear way of analysis which makes their judgement superficial, polemical and rhetorical. Thats the reason, one, after reading the works of some great intellectual personalities like Aristole, Plato, Mill or Marx, would find the academic writing of so called great Indians of 19th and early 20th century,quite redundant and plagiarised
    • Comment
  • Suman V answered 7 years ago
    Education is a term often used to refer to formal educationHowever, the word's broader meaning covers a range of experiences, from formal learning to the building of understanding and knowledge through day to day experiences. Ultimately, all that we experience serves as a form of education.
    It is widely accepted that the process of education is lifelong. Studies have shown that the child is educated by the experiences it is exposed to in the womb even before it is born. Education also refers to a discipline, a body of theoretical and applied research that draws on other disciplines such as psychology, philosophy, computer science, linguistics, neuroscience, sociology and anthropology.

A central tenet of education typically includes “the imparting of knowledge.” At a very basic level, this purpose ultimately deals with the nature, origin and scope of knowledge. The branch of philosophy that addresses these and related issues is known as epistemology. This area of study often focuses on analyzing the nature and variety of knowledge and how it relates to similar notions such as truth and belief.

Educational psychology is the study of how humans learn in educational settings, the effectiveness of educational interventions, the psychology of teaching, and the social psychology of schools as organizations. Although the terms "educational psychology" and "school psychology" are often used interchangeably, researchers and theorists are likely to be identified as educational psychologists, whereas practitioners in schools or school-related settings are identified as school psychologists. Educational psychology is concerned with the processes of educational attainment in the general population and in sub-populations such as gifted children and those with specific disabilitiesIt is now widely recognized that the most important factors in any teacher's effectiveness are the interaction with students and the knowledge and personality of the teacher. The best teachers are able to translate information, good judgment, experience, and wisdom into a significant knowledge of a subject that is understood and retained by the student. Teachers need the ability to understand a subject well enough to convey its essence to a new generation of students. The goal is to establish a sound knowledge base on which students will be able to build as they are exposed to different life experiences. The passing of knowledge from generation to generation allows students to grow into useful members of society.

But in INDIA this is not got to happen.But others countries like USA are very scientifically forward.Indians have a potential to do everything but are not encouraged.In CNN IBN I saw that that Mr.BUSH was advising his students that you want to study well otherwise Indians will take over everything.He knows that Indians have potential and we must make use it .

Source(s):

Visual Encyclopedia
    • Comment
  • streetsmart answered 7 years ago
    Children of today are much smarter than children of yesteryears. They have begun questioning their parents and teachers with innocent yet thought provoking questions which the parents or teachers themselves would not know the answer for. THE INDIAN EDUCATIONAL SYSTEM lacks teachers who have a concept based approach to a subject simply because they do not know it themselves. I BELIEVE THE REAL EDUCATION OF A STUDENT TAKES PLACE DURING THE PRIMARY AND HIGH SCHOOL LEVEL. Training of these class teachers is atmost essential making them understand the concept of by this i mean quoting examples about the application and the relevance of each chapter in our day to day life. this helps children to understand better at school and apply the same at home and recall the principle easily rather than mugging. PARENTS MUST BE ENCOURAGED TO GIVE CHILDREN THEIR DESERVED PLAYTIME AND NOT FORCE THEIR DREAMS ON THEIR CHILDREN. Parents must be made to attend the parent teacher meetings and the teachers must ask the parents to quiz their children regarding the subjects they learnt in school.EXAMINATIONS must be based not on WRITING exactly what is there in the textbook or teachers notes but must be based on THE EXTENT THE CHILD HAS THOUGHT OUT OF THE BOOK. SLOW LEARNERS MUST BE IDENTIFIED and must be given enough time to learn at their own pace and not be TAUNTED. The Education system in india has still a long way to go implementations of better ideas being made starting from a few schools and extending based on the analysis and evaluation of the data and progress of the children into a larger scale.
    • Comment
  • Sign In 

to add your answer

• koli9_shilpa answered 7 years ago
    ya u have asked a right question.now a days teachers have to be educated first then let them teach us i am studing in 2puc.i have experienced a lot of trouble in my college it's like few people go 4 tution so they ignore other .we people who dont go to tution should suffer.thes teachers dont actually teach they learn many things from us or rather people going to tution. they tell our teachers every thing she just write it on the board.it's s ridicolus 4 wat v go to college.i dont know when all this will change in our country .i just wish god sends some angle to change all this in india
    • Comment
  • Anil B answered 7 years ago
    In any area of human endeavour there will always be something lacking . Be it an advanced society or an imitation society . What really lacks in our education system is relevance . Just as an example . This distorted emphasis on environment has been picked up from the developed world where there has been an enormous amount of progress in minimising poverty in the last 150 years or so . Here we let concern for environment hurt the speed of employment creation . Which is it going to be employment or environment ? Employment now and environment a little later. These priorities only an education system can inculcate.
    • Comment
  • Mohit S answered 7 years ago
    Present Education system isn't lacking anywhere but its among the best times ever. Today we are teaching pupils each and every ways to get successful in the market. How to make goodwill in the market and as well as how to use it. Today a well educated person as we are can understand education isnt lacking anywhere but it has grown advanced in many areas. Advance in the sense pupil knows those things which they are not suppose to know at the growing age of pupil
    Today, pupil are more busy and work loaded than there parents are. Pupil have started saying big and intelligent words which we are experiencing in our day to day life.
    Our governtment should spend funds to market literacy in poor areas so that more and more people shall get educated and can have specialisation as a worker in there respective fields. Not only as a worker what do i mean to say that literacy is not there only in books but its in achievement of skills to do and to complete the work allotted to them and in these areas poor people should get educated.
    These avhievement will make our country not only prosperous
    but also skilled.
    I shall like to clarify my point as follows:
    Today in Mumbai, many malls have got established which have largely affected the sales of pedestrain shops. These Shops may be of tailor or may be of garments, they are effected.
    tailors job requires skills but his skills are not in demand due to availability of readymade low cost garments. Installation of huge machineries which is due to skills of high profile person has started evaporating the skills of a tailor. We are doing the same mistake again as our forefathers has done but in different style
    • Comment
  • paras answered 7 years ago
    as far as i am concerned i think that the syllabus is incorrect because i t doesn't concentrate on increasing the thinking power of a person instead of it it is based on learning which is absolutely wrong

REMEMBER THINKING IS THE MOST DIFFICULT TASK TO DO
    • Comment
  • swapnil s answered 7 years ago
    hi abhi feeling good that you have raised this question.I will supporrt you that we have a education system in which only bookish knowledge is everything and less concentration on the application and skill. we have a good syllabes in school level by ncert.But i think there should be a open fran\me and desk where a student have oppurtunity to express himself so that he can be understood what he is srtudyin g and should nevver forget that lesson .

I am doin enggineering at my level i can say that a system is lacking in practical application and skill students supposed to read a 50 pages guide to get through the exams
    then what is the meaning of enggineering though a good syllabus and teachers a student need tutions and coachings. how a student show ability without having resources ,many and many events and seminars by the famous personalities.Now a days colleges are opening like school every day a coolege is being opened with having a good resources then how is it capable of built a good enggineer.And this leads to overflow of profesionals.

I must say a education must be student oriented not only syllabus. The practise which is following from the last decade should be changed and should kept in mind that we are not producing book worms but a sensible individuals are master in their feild
    • Comment
  • durga v answered 7 years ago
    The basic difference, if you agree with me, is the difference in between the way they made children to learn and the time they took to make them to learn basic alphabets of mother tongue or Hindi whatever it is in the past and the present way of making children to study and the time they are taking to teach the basic alphabets of language. This much is the difference if u can visualise, then u can imagine how our present education system is.

Further the present text standard is very very poor. This is happening for fulfillment of ego of political leaders. All un educated and knowledge nil ministers of education. They do not know how to bring out the standard ways of education.

In view of the above, the following is suggessted:

1. To reduce the burden of sub standard syllabus on children
    2. To improve the standards of teaching and time taken for
    teaching
    3. To avoid tutions even from the l.k.g class
    4. To avoid sanction of schools in buildings without playgrounds
    5. To avoid false competition in between schools
    6. To avoid complicacies in studies and there should be standard in what ever quantity of study they give
    7. To avoid political interference in education and educational institutions
    8. Only scholors in that particular subject must be committee members in recommending and finalising the standard of syllabus and the not the minister pets and ministers, who are not sincere
    9. Avoid appreciating heavy percentage rather appreciate the standards with low percentage. In my opinion, getting 70% , which was excellent in olden days, was very difficult and students with 70% were the cleverest among all in those days.

10. The attitude of parents must change. They must raise their voice for standard education not a showy one. They should not depend on tutors. Children must put efforts. They must have some games in the school playground it self. now a days only tv no other activ ity. So we have to reduce our channels which are showing all rubbish. Students mind must be on games and studies not else where So there must be some change in the activities of children.

Now a days children are getting 90%, 95% and even 100%, still their knowledge is below 40 to 50%, except few children. What ever we have learnt in our childhood, that is still helping us. That is the basic difference in between the past and the present.

So we have to find out real standards of education and then implement, defenitely we get more standard studies and students. Though you study and learn less, it must become the pillar of education, basic standard of education in life of every one.

Source(s):

own feelings
    • Comment
  • thewiseone08 answered 7 years ago
    As far as 10..in 10+2+3...there aren't many mistakes
    Although I see a new trend where people are admitting their students to schools with IB and Cambridge board just b'coz they offer international curriculum...but let me tell u that i have a friend who lives in the US,educated in India,and he said that the syllabus is so low,that a 5th standard student can write their 7th grade math paper...so I have realised that by going to schools with IB Cambridge does not increase our standard to international level,but DECREASES and hinders our intellectual capacity.

in the 2+3 format,it is nothing but the situation of everyone wanting the pie of the same pie...and at this rate I don't think there will b enough pie left for open category

so in conclusion there is nothing wrong with our curriculum but its our thought that is hindering our progress...this is only my view point of the topic..yours may b different
    • Comment
  • Santhosh S answered 7 years ago
    The most vital step would be to depoliticise the education system of India. As regards the main question, nothing is lacking in our present education system. It is the most comprehensive system of knowledge in the world. Just remove the excessive elements such as politicians, reservations, quotas, extortative fees, ragging etc and we would have already made the sustainable changes to correct it.
    Just as a trained sculptor would only remove the unwanted portions of a rock to present his creation of a fine art in the form of a beautiful statue, so also the educators and parents of India must carve out a good education system from the already existing fund of knowledge.

Knowledge is Power
    Santosh S

Source(s):

Wisdom
    • Comment
  • Shashank B answered 7 years ago
    The major Problem with the India education system is that it concentrates on educating people.

However, I believe that Education should not just be driving a point through a book but should be enabling them to learn.

A good educational system would be one where the child grows as a person.

What is the point if a child scores a 100 % but fails to communicate what he/she has learnt, fails to extend the thought with his/her own creativity, Apply what is learnt?

The solution would be help the child realise, think, talk and apply.

When the child grows so does India.

And A learn-ed adult is better than a mere bookish adult.
    • Comment
  • nik roy answered 7 years ago
    In our present education students are not able to get the proper knowledge of facts, means there is lack of practical knowledge all includes theories.
    And also government should be more concerned towards the studies e.g. by providing better knowledgement books keeping view the needs of the students.
    More & more guidance should be given to provide better knowledge with better & high professinal teachers.

Source(s):

• Comment
  • one man army answered 7 years ago
    Stop privatisation and commercialisation of educational institutes, they are making money in the name of education. And for running there businesses they are more focused on advertisements not on kind of education they are providing, this is the reason our young generation is lacking in moral values.

We should make limit on such institutes so that a real environment of teaching can be created.
    • Comment
  • deiva777 answered 7 years ago
    ALMOST ALLSCHOOLCHILDREN SPEND 6 HOURS IN SCHOOL SO ATLEAST IF A TEACHER SPEND 10 MINUTES FOR ONE STUDENT THEN THERE SHOULD BE ONLY 36 STUDENTS IN A CLASS.
    • Comment
  • Anil Chawla answered 7 years ago
    Our education is system almost 80% perfect, which can be proved by our people working abroad and recognised worldwide.
    The improvement it needs, is cultivating of more and more practicals into system. This change will chew up almost the same amount of finance, which is involved presently.
    The solution of this problem should not be expected by government. Every individual institution can think over it and can achieve astonishing results by implimanting minor and slow changes.
    • Comment
  • ANURAG answered 7 years ago
    Improper assessment procedure through examination which deters healthy competition.
    • Comment
  • Dhivya answered 7 years ago
    present education system lacks practicality. it has no life in it. students are not knowing for which pupose are they working so hard. for example ,it teaches the advantage and disadvantage of plastics. but no student takes an oath not to use plastic. till this moment plastics are been used which is surely going to spoil the future. sameway, children mug up or learn their lessons. but never aware of what they learn. practical labs have to insisted in every school so that students can atleast have an idea of the purpose iof learning.
    • Comment
  • STING answered 7 years ago
    Hi
    First of all, i am a student.
    I know what a student like me wants.
    The system of education can be improved to a better one which it to be much easier and educating the children to get a brighter future out of them.
    i think that children should be given freedom on to select what to learn and that it should be guided by elder people who are well learned.
    Students should be taught only what they need.
    We can't force a child to learn.
    Where i am we are forced to learn this and that.
    Students like us are under extreme pressure and some have taken to drugs and adult behavior like smoking, drinking, eating or chewing drugs.
    The punishment we get for not performing well in studies is not desirable.
    A prisoner in jail will have better treatment than us.
    Our teachers don't teach us but insist that we must study and get 80%+ marks and if not punishment after punishment.

What we need is a better future that is powerful, intelligent, capable....

Remember that children is the future of a wealthy and powerful nation.

:)
    • Comment
  • Udit D answered 7 years ago
    it must be job oriented.
    better it must be self employment oriented.
    • Comment
  • diprodiptaBanerjee answered 7 years ago
    (1) Present education system is not for all( It is so much costly)
    (2).Presently there are some recognised institution, are doing business, as monopoly.
    (3) When, at this stage, we are depended with computer in case of
    education, but, it is a matter of regreate so many students are not doing to operate the computer( only this facilities avaliable in the recog. institution( and it's expence so costly)
    (4). so many rural sector- students are not having any knowledge
    (they are called BPL) but, I do have a question that, why they can't this facility.?
    (5). There is no basic fundamental knowledge so many students,
    if, any body questions me, that, we are seeing so brillient students are making, but, why are you saying as fullish?
    I do think, one student gets made eassy suggestions from his
    tutiors and all other advises.and that studentsfollows its only.
    (6). Education is for all, but, I think that, education is amony matter.
    (7). I am explaning two clases MIDIA:- (1) Middle clase (2) Rural
    BPL clases:-
    (a) a middle clase student gets english midium teaching& computer
    (b) a Rural clases student gets only the regional language
    not much more.
    (8)Then, I do have a question, WHO CAN OUR INDIA REACH IN A POSITION...?
    (9). Today, english language is very essential to our INDIAN students, whether, they can join in any call centre jobs & ors
    jobs smoothly.
    After Education- Employment is very nesserry , unless , we will be backdated.
    A COUNTRY MAKES ON THE DEEPENDS - a good family, a good society and then country. ...thats all..
    • Comment
  • Rohan S answered 7 years ago
    As a student of class 11 what I would like to say is that in the last 13 years of my life I would have never been so generous towards education as today. The reason behind is my teacher’s effort toward student's community. According to me teaching is not a very tough job but the most important thing is that how well a teacher and a student can co-relate themselves with each other. The basic reason why student community threats from the subjects like Math’s and science is that, they and their teacher have a very little knowledge. More than clearing concepts they used to focus more on to complete the syllabus. I am a science student and previously I was not able to assimilate the concept of science because I have no imagination but after the effort of my physics teacher I found myself more confident. The most important thing is the teacher’s effort towards student community and student's response towards teacher. Books are very essential. As we compare the present books with all those previous books they are well written and everything has been evinced very nicely. Books are not only sufficient to satisfy student community completely. For satisfying student community there is a need of a very learned teacher. The most important thing about the teachers that they are not supposed to restricted to one particular subject but they must have requisite knowledge of every subject whether it is maths, science, English or history. For clearing the concepts of physics and chemistry it is very necessary that while teaching teacher or the student try to find out as much examples from their daily life only. Practical are very important both in chemistry as well as physics. The labs should be up to the mark with all kind of necessary apparatus, chemicals and different practical books. Personnel attention of teacher to every student is very important. Projects should be assigned to students so that the subject becomes quite creative and guidance must also give to students. If the student is not able to get into his studies or he/she may not able to understand whatever is taught by the teacher then the teacher should ask them and must solve their problem. They should not create a scary atmosphere in the class. Teacher should be frank with the students so that student won’t feel shy while asking questions. While teaching something teacher must give some time after completing the topic so that student don’t find the topic monotonous and discuss some other matters relating to current affairs and all. After finishing the lesson he should take a seminar in the class so that every student will get a chance to expose him/herself and appreciate their so that in future he will do some extra effort on his work. After checking the test papers, teacher must give remarks with the marks on the test papers so that and let student know that where are they lacking? These are small points, which are the major area of concerned. Teachers are the roll models of students.
    Everything depends on the bond, which has been made between the teacher and the student.

Source(s):

My personnel experience
    • Comment
  • ...... answered 7 years ago
    the books r not updated & the method of teaching is imperfect.
    • Comment

Who is following this question?

%
    BEST ANSWERS
    Total answers:
    Points this week:
    Follow

Unfollow

Block

Unblock