Does forwarding this really works?

When people forward a message something like the following: ""Plz don't delete dis...forward it..... Hello, my name is Krista and I have a new born baby named Natalie. She means the world to me, and just recently the doctors discovered that she had Brain Cancer. Unfortunately my husband and I... show more When people forward a message something like the following:

""Plz don't delete dis...forward it.....
Hello,
my name is Krista and I have a new born baby named Natalie. She means the world to me, and just recently the doctors discovered that she had Brain Cancer. Unfortunately my husband and I don't have enough money to even pay the bills. My Husband and I worked out a deal with YAHOO and AOL and ORKUT
and they have agreed to give us 5 cents for each person that receives this IM, so please forward this to everyone you know and help out. PLz""

Does this ^^ really work? Is it really worth to forward the message and save someone's life? I was just wondering if I was actually helping someone or is it just a waste of time and effort.