Suggestions of what to check when going to repair a friend's pc problem ?

She's left me a message on ansaphone saying she presses the button for the pc to start.. and it powers up.. and looks like it will boot up.. but doesn't, and screen remains dark - it doesn't go to the XP welcome/account screen. (Hmm its just occured to me I best check the cable monitor hasn't... show more She's left me a message on ansaphone saying she presses the button for the pc to start.. and it powers up.. and looks like it will boot up.. but doesn't, and screen remains dark - it doesn't go to the XP welcome/account screen.

(Hmm its just occured to me I best check the cable monitor hasn't come out of back of pc or monitor itself)

Any suggestions really welcome so I can go prepared with some things to try ? Thanks. :)
Update: Thanks for useful info so far. However her Dell is the type which has internal inbuilt graphic thingy... not a video card.. so will be up the creek if its that I should imagine. Power cables (good idea). I'll ring Dell now and ask them to send her an XP Home CD. I was with her when she ordered the PC... show more Thanks for useful info so far.

However her Dell is the type which has internal inbuilt graphic thingy... not a video card.. so will be up the creek if its that I should imagine.

Power cables (good idea). I'll ring Dell now and ask them to send her an XP Home CD. I was with her when she ordered the PC about 2 years ago.. set it up too.. but Dell didn't include XP disc - there was a note saying we shouldn't really need one and to contact them if we do.