Why does my computer just randomly shut off without warning?

It doesn't over heat i don't think, it doesn't feel hot, and even if it did shut off for overheating I don't think it would restart itself right away. My computer just shuts down and restarts, without warning and I don't know why. If this happened to anybody before can you PLEASE tell me how to make it stop?

thank you!

Favorite Answer

Sometimes, when there's some sort of a fatal system error, instead of showing a blue screen of death Windows will just automatically restart.

If this is the case, try this:

1) Right click My Computer on the desktop

2) Click Properties

3) In the System Properties window, click the Advanced tab

4) In the Startup and Recovery section, click Settings

5) Uncheck "Automatically restart" and hit keep hitting OK to get out of there.

Now, when there's a system error, you'll get an error message that will hopefully tell you more about the problem you're having.

If it just shuts off then restarts over and over again you more than likely have a virus that caused this and will have to take it in to a computer shop. If it shuts off then nothing and then you can restart it later after it sits then it is the fan on the power supply thats out. That is what happened to mine so it shuts down when the power supply gets hot because the fan is not working to cool it.

• Tim C

joseph is likely right, it sounds like your power supply, it should be repalced soon and you shouldn't use your comp much until it is repaired since a malfunctioning power supply could fry other components of your computer thereby forcing you to buy a whole new comp altogether. if your comp is getting kind of old it might be simpler to just by a new one however.

How old is the computer? Is it an emachines? If those aren't the problem could be a virus also.

• jong

feels like your fan isnt working property and overheating your computing gadget you may desire to verify in the journey that your fan is stucked had to be sparkling or replace whether this is not any longer working they do no longer seem to be costly to swap.. stable luck

your power supply is going out you'll need to get another one but i wouldn't use it until you get another one b/c power supllies going out like to blow other things!!! like your motherboard or cpu etc!