Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 1 decade ago

Globalization. Is this what it represents?

I thought I'd share this little tidbit with you all:

Finally, a definition of globalization I can understand and to which I can relate.

Question: What is the truest definition of Globalization?

Answer: Princess Diana's death.

Question: How come?

Answer: An English princess with an Egyptian boyfriend crashes in a French tunnel, riding in a German car with a Dutch engine, driven by a Belgian who was drunk on Scottish whisky (check the bottle before you change the spelling), followed closely by Italian Paparazzi on Japanese motorcycles. She was treated by an American doctor using Brazilian medicines.

This is sent to you by an American using Bill Gates's technology, and you're probably reading this on your computer that uses Taiwanese chips and a Korean monitor, was assembled by Bangladeshi workers in a Singapore plant, transported by Indian lorry-drivers, hijacked by Indonesians, unloaded by Sicilian longshoremen, and trucked to you by Mexican illegals.....

jebul. I AM using his operating system. This does not state that Gates invented the computer. Wake up and quit the name calling!

You must have been up really late thinking about this one. LOL

Good one though! :)

This is as good an illustration of the growth of a global economy as any I've seen. I remember years ago, car commercials touting "the global car," because it was made of parts from some 16 different countries.

Now, that's totally normal and unremarkable. Globalization should not be feared. It is a means to freedom and wealth for millions around the world. It works far more efficiently and effectively than foreign aid.

Close, but no cigar.

Although your "story" does, indeed, illustrate how lots of products come from lots of places (my personal favorite illustration of this is Bob Dylan's song where everything is from somewhere else - sorry, can't recall the name of the song right now), what you are describing is the RESULT of globalization, not what it actually IS.

However, as clever as you may think this is, it is not truly what globalization is.

Simply put - it means moving AMERICAN jobs to other countries so that Big Business in this country saves billions on labor and benefits. What globalization "represents" is the loss of jobs in this country.

It's that simple.

Don't forget about the carboard that was processed from a tree that was cut down in Bolivia! You got it down pretty good there. It's a shame that it had to happen just for a good photo of a princess.

Jebul - she said technology, not computer...get a clue idiot!

Yeah, that's about right. And at the cost of American jobs.

Nice.

Yes! And a side note, Canadian and Scotch brands are WHISKY, where American and Irish brands are WHISKEY. Don't ask me why...

Yep, that about size it up.

Glad you finally figured it out. Welcome to what the rest of us already knew.

BILL GATES DIDN'T INVENT THE COMPUTER, HE INVENTED WINDOWS, THE OPERATING SYSTEM FOR "SOME" COMPUTERS!! GET A CLUE IDIOT!