How do I close a joint bank account if the other person does not consent?

I have a bank account at Citizen's Bank that I opened when I was a little kid. Because I was a kid, the account also had my mother's name on it.

Now I am 16, I have a job, I deposit my checks into that savings account, but now I want to spend some of it. Citizens Bank, being the ******* they are, won't let me withdraw money without my mother there because I am not 18. I cannot get my mom's name off the account until I am 18.

This is my money and I want to use it and my mom will not help me when I asked her to come with me to close the account (I want to open one at bank of america where they let people my age open accounts)

I live in MA and I don't know if there are any laws or procedures that I could use to close this account and get my money out.

My mom has never deposited, the money is all mine. If she wanted to steal my money, I can't do anything about it because of the contract (I never signed it because I was too young back then) that said she can take money when she wants

However, I don't have enough money to make Bank of America's Minimum balance requirements

WHY DON'T YOU JUST GO TO BANK OF AMERICA AND OPEN A NEW ACCOUNT.. LIVE THAT ONE WITH CITIZENS BANK ALONE... STOP PUTTING ANY MONEY IN THAT ACCOUNT RIGHT NOW. I HOPE YOUR MOM WON'T BE THE TYPE TO STEAL FROM HER KID BUT JUST IN CASE, MAKE SURE YOU TAKE A COPY OF THE BALANCE AND DON'T TOUCH THE ACCOUNT UNTIL YOUR 18, THEN CLOSE IT DOWN. IT'S REALLY THAT SIMPLE.

Let Citizen's Bank know that your mother is unable to physically be present when you transact business with them and ask if a letter of authorization from your mother will suffice. Thereafter, type up a letter indicating that you want to close the account with your mother's consent and signature notarized. Good luck!

its probably really a matter of your mother not wanting you to spend the money, because she'd rather you use it for something that she thinks has long term value or potential. a parent's decisions don't always make sense at the time, but it's probably for your own good. You should try sitting down with her and weighing the pros and the cons of the purchases you want to make.

If you really want your own independent account, then you already know where you can legally obtain one.

If it's a joint account you can't close it on your own. The consent (signature) of both persons is required.

use your deposit to open an account, then transfer the money over. also you could open a paypal account use a debit card with it.

First I would go to the teller and get the exact balance and just get a withdraw slip and withdraw the funds. Then go to their customer service dept and tell them you just closed the account and have them double check it was done.