what is somras ,which devta drinks . do we also drink it.?

in vedas it is mentioned that we prepare the somras and we offer to devas . what is that somras .

Favorite Answer

Reference 1:

1. Soma paanam and Sura Paanam

Soma has to be differentiated from Sura (physically intoxiating alcohol ) made from grapes or grains). Soma is a CONCEPTUAL beverage of Gods , which is described as Truth (Sathyam), Auspiciousness( Sri:) , light /radiance (Jyothi:) . Sura in contrast is untruth (anrutham), misery (Paapmaa) and darkness ( tama:). Soma leads to Jn~anam (enlightenment ) and Anandham ( bliss):

"sathyam vai Sri: Jyothi: Soma: anrutha paapma tama: Suraithe " --Satapatha Brahmanam: VI.1.3.10

Soma is not produced by crushing and filtering a Creeper with the name of Soma. The creeeper is also a conceptual creeper , the juice of which is presented in a RITUALISTIC manner in Soma Yaagams .

2. Where are the Manthrams for Soma Yaagam ?

The Soma Pavamana sections (Rg &Saama Vedams) deals exclusively with the conceptual effusion , filtration and purification of the Soma rasam from the mythical Soma creeper.

3. Soma rasam & Geethacharyan

Geethacharyan states in Gita that He is Soma among medicinal herbs . By that He means that all the medicinal herbs owe their curative powers to the POWER OF Soma present in them. All the medicinal herbs on this earth are recognized as the gift of Soma , which is not cultivable by Humans.

4. The significance of Soma rasam offering

Soma is offered to Indra in Soma Yaagam , since it is considered as his favorite drink. At a metaphysical level , Indra is the Atman and the Soma is the spiritual love and affection that flows from the Supreme Lord to fill the inner conscience of the man with Jn~anam and Aanandham.

5. Soma Yaagams

There are Seven Paaka Yaj~nams , Seven Havir Yaj~nams and Seven SOMA YAJ~NAMS. Here , " Soma rasam (juice)" is squeezed and offered unto the fire for different Devathas , whose antharyami is Sriman Naarayanan. These seven Soma Yaj~nams are: Agnishtomam , Athyagnishtomam,Ukthyam , Shodasee , Vaajabheyam , Athirathram and Abdhoryamam .

Some of them take many days to complete with the help of four Ritvikhs ( Hotha , adhvaryu , Udhgathru and Brahmma ).Hotha is for recitation of Rg Veda manthrams , Udhgathru is for the singing of Saama Vedam ; Adhvaryau priests are for performing Homams. Brahma class of priests are for supervision so that every thing is done according to saasthras.

Soma Yaagams are the loftiest of the Yaj~nams.

Reference 2:

One Sidha medicinal plant is: Somalatha

Scientific name :Sarcostemma acidum

Family :Asclepidaceae

Medicinal Uses: Dried stems are emetic . Infusion of roots is prescribed for persons bitten by rabid dogs .

Reference 3:

Was soma really Amanita, or Ephedra, or Sarcostemma One thing remains a certainty: the story of soma has not yet reached its terminus, and the ancient scribe who once penned the following characters in Sanskrit had a yet unraveled secret:

"Heaven above does not equal one half of me.

Have I been drinking soma?

In my glory I have passed beyond earth and sky.

Have I been drinking soma?

I will pick up the earth and place it here or there.

Have I been drinking soma?"

Rig-Veda X:U9, 7-9

• moyes

Soma Drink

Soma maybe? I really don't know, but I will guess that it is pure love that drives the drinker mad with the Divine. I'm looking forward to answers I've wondered about this myself.

EDIT: I must bow to and thank C. Sir Vida Rajagopalan, Beautiful answer!

Soma is the sacred drink the ancient Aryans who wrote the Veda's used in their rituals. It's usually thought to be a herb, but the knowledge which herb it was has been lost - or perhaps the herb itself is extinct. Nobody really knows.

Source(s): study at university

Some alchemists claim somarasa is prepared from a special herb found only in Himalaya and it can be seen only by devas.... but i dont really accept it.

It has a deep spiritual meaning.... Som means Chandra and somrasa is thought to be intoxicating drink..

When Prana are controlled by Chandra Nadi (Som), it causes some subtle divine energies to fill our brain....which gives us Ananda..

In Tantra they have a very deep meaning of this..but i am only aware of this much

Every drink in moderation is OK.

NO(NO ONE KNOWN ABOUT IT )

Source(s): SELF STUDY