Is it right that people who follow the Greek Gods cannot worship freely in Greece?

Followers of the Ethnic Religion of Greece (the Classical Greek Gods) are not allowed to worship freely in Greece. The constitution of the country that gave the Western World the Tenets of Democracy does not allow for legal recognition of any religion that is not a "Byzantine Religion" (Christianity -- meaning ORTHODOX Christianity btw, Judaism and Islam -- which is also heavily discriminated against in practise)

Even Iran which is a self-described Muslim country allows more freedom to the "Ethnic Religion" of Zoroastrianism (which predates Christianity by at least 600 years) so why is it right that Greece does not open it's doors to the TRUE ancestral religion of it's people

If you do not believe this could be true check out the following website....

http://www.ysee.gr/index-eng.php

and this one as well....

http://www.greekgodslegal.co.uk/

Shouldn't guarantees of "Religious Freedom" extend to ALL religions?

There are Greek Pagans in Greece who have been trying for years for the legal recognition that the Greek government's inclusion in the European Union is SUPPOSED to ensure. As of early this year, they have still been unsuccessful....

Well, I do not know much about the legal stuff, but I believe that things are not as simple as they seem. It's one thing to talk about religious freedom and another thing to talk about legal support by the state.

Here's my view, as a native Greek.

- In Greece anyone has the right to believe in whatever or whoever one wants to.

Despite the fact that Orthodox Christianity is traditionally the main and most spread religion all over the country and that there are strong bounds of it with the Greek history and maybe state rules (that is a matter of discussion), the modern society is open-minded and does not care about religious differences. Beliefs ARE respected.

According to the constitution, the above-mentioned religion is only the prevailing religion, NOT the only OR true religion.

See Relations of Church and State, as well as Article 13

http://www.parliament.gr/english/politeuma/syntagm...

(syntagma means constitution)

[Notice that every religion is accepted as long as it doesn't harm the public interest. If religions oppose to the rules of the state there are problems. Don't think that O.C. has never had any conflicts with the Greek state on the simplest matters...]

- In order for a religion to be legally recognized, it has to be known (as far as the content of the religion and the worship methods are concerned). Here there is a major legal loop hole, because there is NO OFFICIAL DEFINITION of the term "religion" or the conditions for recognition. So, it's not about not allowing religions, it's about giving religions some value formally.

As a result, "newer" religions have problems. The "by some people called" "Greek Paganism" may refer to the ancient greek mythology (don't get me wrong, please), but it has not had such continuous history (from a moment before till now) as Christianity, Judaism and Islam have had - It rather seems to have been born in the recent years. Btw, C, J and I are not the only existent religions in Greece (at least this is my impression).

If the ministry of Education and Religious Affairs does not take action when it should, it's the politicians' responsibility and it has nothing to do with the greek law. But also the followers of the less privileged religions are responsible, too, if (and only if) they expect everything to be done automatically and if they do not promote suggestions to make things better for everyone. The media, local authorities, even the European Union authorities are there. [In Greece nothing functions the proper way, and this extends to religious practice as well].

- On this:

http://www.ysee.gr/index-eng.php?type=english&f=ab...

-- The right to live and exist ... it sounds kinda vague... Live the way you want to. If you do not agree with the national laws (formed under certain circumstances) do not blame it on prevailing religions.

-- The ancestral name giving process... This is a civil matter, not a religious matter. ...a pure Classical education... (This is why I said before it needs discussion). Purity wouldn't be a form of brainwashing? Greece, either I want it or not, is not only Antiquity or only Byzantine Times.

-- The right of legal protection ... legal recognized rituals of name giving, marriage and funeral ... euthanasia... incineration ... All these apply to countries where there is no "religion problem", don't they?

On this:

http://www.ysee.gr/index-eng.php?type=english&f=fa...

I still do not see an explanation of the religion and the like. I mostly see a generalized comparison between it and Christianity. Laws need details.

I may know a couple of things I've learned on my own (which, by the same way do not coincide with what seems to be supported), but think: How would you explain the meaning of the religion to a judge, for example, who's going to decide on how the practice shall be supported by the state?

My answer is not very good, I know, but I tried to shorten it a lot. If there is something you did not understand, I'll try to explain it to you.

I am Greek and the majority of us (more than 90%) are Orthodox Christians.

it is mainly because we are hardcore christian orthodox and the government to give such rights will loose lots of supporters, youngsters are not like that but older ppl are. Een muslims are not allowed to have a proper mosque to pray in Greece and they have to gather in houses to pray. Sucks what can I say?

Source(s): Greek

greece is a member of the european union, and as such it must have a consitution that allows religious freedom and bans discrimination. they would not have been alowed memebership had they not.

Just because they gave us democracy doesn't mean they gave us the freedom of religion.

A democracy is where people VOTE on things, not when they can do whatever they please....learn a little more before you start defending something.

That is biggoted and oppressive of the Greek government. I see they are still in the pocket of their Church.

They should have the right.

Shouldn't you not be applying something in the US to another country

• ibi828

it's dumb to still believe that.

believe in Islam is the best