What is fatty liver and how it related with the 201 SGPT?

my 12 year old son has been diagnosed of a 201 SGPT . what is fatty liver?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

SGPT normally is 0-45 units. 201 is definitely raised, denoting impaired liver function.

Fatty infiltration of liver impairs liver function, common cause is alcohol.

Nonalcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD) refers to a wide spectrum of liver disease ranging from simple fatty liver (steatosis), to nonalcoholic steatohepatitis (NASH), to cirrhosis (irreversible, advanced scarring of the liver). All of the stages of NAFLD have in common the accumulation of fat (fatty infiltration) in the liver cells (hepatocytes). In NASH, the fat accumulation is associated with varying degrees of inflammation (hepatitis) and scarring (fibrosis) of the liver.

The term nonalcoholic is used because NAFLD and NASH occur in individuals who do not consume excessive amounts of alcohol. Yet, in many respects, the histological picture of NAFLD (when we look at a biopsy piece of liver under the microscope) is similar to what can be seen in liver disease that is due to excessive intake of alcohol. However, the clinical circumstances in NAFLD and NASH are very different from those in alcoholic liver disease (ALD).

http://www.medicinenet.com/fatty_liver/article.htm

Good luck!

Source(s): I am a doctor.
  • Anonymous
    6 years ago

SGPT is one type of enzyme. it found in the liver,Fatty liver, or steatosis, is a broad term that describes the buildup of fats in the liver. Having fat in your liver is normal, but if more than five to 10 percent is fat, then it is called fatty liver disease.

Fatty liver is a reversible condition and usually goes away on its own. Fatty liver often has no symptoms and does not cause any permanent damage.

If you have been diagnosed with fatty liver disease, you might be feeling afraid and somewhat bewildered and would appreciate more information about all aspects of this condition. What causes it? What are the treatments available? What are the possible diet and lifestyle changes you should make? What advice for a holistic approach to managing – and even reversing it? and i know the website is so good and full information a bout fatty liver at:http://adola.net/go/fattyliver-bible/

Hope this useful!

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

What is fatty liver and how it related with the 201 SGPT?

my 12 year old son has been diagnosed of a 201 SGPT . what is fatty liver?

Source(s): fatty liver related 201 sgpt: https://tr.im/ZtEfQ
  • 1 decade ago

SGPT is an enzyme that can be found not only in the liver but also in the heart. It is increased if these organs are damaged, like Liver cirrohis or Hepatitis. Fatty liver is only a secondary disease..meaning it is only a result of something abnormal in the liver's metabolism that is why it accumulates fat. It could be a malabsorption, hepatitis, alcoholism.

Hope this helps.

God bless you and your son.

Source(s): ** I'm a lab.tech
Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.