When did Friday the 13th start as being an unlucky day?

Follow
  • Follow publicly
  • Follow privately
  • Unfollow
Remember the Knights of Templers? And what happened to the Grand Master when he returned to France?
Best AnswerAsker's Choice
The modern reason for this is said to come from Friday October the 13th, 1307. On this date, the Pope of the church in Rome in conjunction with the King of France, carried out a secret death warrant Against The Knights Templar. The Templars were terminated as heretics, never again to hold the power that they had held for so long. There Grand Master, Jacques DeMolay, was arrested and before he was killed, was tortured and crucified.

Asker's Rating & Comment

5 out of 5
Good, you not only pointed out what had happened but gave the date of when Friday the "13th" had started.
  • Comment (1)

Other Answers (7)

Rated Highest
  • Rated Highest
  • Oldest
  • Newest
  • Bixenta Lenore Abraxas answered 6 years ago
    I don't really understand it. Friday the thirteenth is usually a good day for me. In fact, anything supposedly bad luck is good luck for me.

Source(s):

Living it!
    • Comment
  • melissa answered 6 years ago
    all i no is that back then fridays were considered the unlucky day of the week and the number 13 was unlucky so they combined it and made an even more unlucky day
    • Comment
  • Timmer answered 6 years ago
    Friday the 13th was conceived as an unlucky day after what happened to the Templar Knights in 1307. It has nothing to do with witches, adam or eve, and any other mumbo jumbo hoohaa from christianity. It also has nothing to do with Jesus's supposed death on a Friday.
    • Comment
  • fox3bhc answered 6 years ago
    Friday the 13th was first recorded as being an "unlucky" day in 1869, when the biography of Gioachino Rossini was published.

Considerations from the Knights Templar roundup, Christ being crucified on a Friday, and numerology (triskaidekaphobia - fear of the number 13, etc.) all contribute to the superstition surrounding Friday the 13th.

Personally, I don't believe in luck. "The footsteps of the righteous are directed by God." To me, any Friday, any 13th of any month, the 15th of March (the "Ides of March"), or any combination thereof is just another day to wake up praising God.

Yesterday is gone, and there's nothing we can do about it. Tomorrow is promised to no one. Every day we're given is a gift, that's why it's called "the present."

P.S.: In some cultures, it is Tuesday the 13th or Friday the 17th that's considered unlucky.

><>

Source(s):

• Comment
  • Chrissy answered 6 years ago
    On friday the thirteenth 1307 the knights templar were arested, tortured into false confessions and burned at the stake, because the King of France owed them money he could not afford to repay. Friday is also considered unlucky because it was on a friday that Jesus was crucified, but I'm not sure it was the thirteenth.
    • Comment
  • Jessica H answered 6 years ago
  • Dominique answered 6 years ago
    Those who know about these things, inform us that Adam and Eve were expelled from the Garden of Eden on a Friday, Noah's flood started on a Friday, and Christ was crucified on a Friday. Christians also noted that twelve witches plus one devil are present at Satanic ceremonies so Friday and 13 make a deadly combination.

Source(s):

google
    • Comment
  • Sign In 

to add your answer

Who is following this question?

%
    BEST ANSWERS
    Total answers:
    Points this week:
    Follow

Unfollow