Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceWords & Wordplay · 1 decade ago

what's the difference between: HAVE YOU SEEN and DID YOU SEE?

i dont get this?

ex. Have u seen my glasses?

Did you see my glasses?

what is the difference btw those two?

• TexMel

"Have you seen" implies that the person saw your glasses sometime in the recent past right up to the present moment. "Did you see" is asking if the person has ever seen your glasses, at any time in the past. It makes a big difference if you're looking for a lost pair of glasses. It wouldn't help much if the person had seen them four years ago. You want to know where they are now!

For some meanings in most parts of the country there is almost no difference in meaning between these two.

"Have you seen this movie" means "have you ever seen it?" "Did you see this movie" means "was there an occasion where you saw it?" As you can tell the difference is almost none.

In other meanings, usually when the thing asked about is a movable object, there is a greater difference. "Have you seen my glasses" can mean, "I have been looking for my glasses but do not know where they are. Do you?" It may also mean "have you ever in your life seen my glasses? (For example "I just bought a new pair of glasses. Have you seen them?")

On the other hand, "Did you see my glasses" means only one thing: "My glasses were present in a certain place (here or somewhere else). Did you see them on that occasion?"

The context will often tell you which meaning of "have you seen" is indicated, but not always.

• Sheryl

It's the difference between being a Christian in word and being a Christian in deed. It is not enough to do the things a Christian should do, but one must also truly BELIEVE what a Christian should believe. Many people just go through the motions (going to church, giving tithes, singing in choir, whatever) without ever really believing what they say the believe. Also, the reverse is true, because many who really believe do not act as if they do. They do the same things as everyone else, even though they know it's wrong. a "genuine," "real," or "true" Christian is one who both believes and acts in a manner which reflects their beliefs.

• mill

Have U Seen