Why do Christian prayers end by saying Amen?

Thank you for your answers

Happy New year to everyone

may 2008 be the year when all your dreams come true

• Favourite answer

“Amen” is a Hebrew word that stems from the word aman, which means “to be faithful, support, or confirm.” The word “amen” actually means, “so be it,” or “truly.”

When we end our prayers with "amen," we are re-affirming our dedication to God through Jesus Christ. We also use it to confirm a statement (i.e., when the priest/pastor says something powerful out of the Word of God, and members of the congregation say "Amen").

Yes, there was an Egyptian deity called Amen. However, he has nothing to do with what Christians say at the end of a prayer! The word actually comes from Hebrew and means "to strengthen" or "confirm". You are right about the evidence concerning the Bible being a rehash of other ancient myths. And you're right that the Virgin birth was nothing original. But you ruined your argument with the Amen comment. In a serious debate, that would have caused you to lose.

• trace

it means so be it, or let it be done. peace. amen.

Amen means ,So be it.

It means 'so be it', which is the same as 'make it so'. But come to think of it, I kinda like 'Engage!'

I rarely say AMEN because I stay in a continual state of prayer.....

Here is a link.

well i don't know why Christians do it but Muslims say Amen because in Arabic it mean my Allah except our prayer

I think it is a reference to the Egyptian Sun god of the same name. the Hebrew word transliterated "AMAIN" (accent on second syllable) means "so be it" or "let it be so".

Amen = So be it, I agree, let it be so, etc.

Source(s): LCMS Lutheran

lack of originality