Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthMen's Health · 1 decade ago

Very frequent masturbation - a cause for poor memory and concentration?

Hey ppl.....Things were going the right way till i entered my college. I was a 'weekend masturbator' during my school days. But, for the past 2 years i'm very frequently masturbating ( say about 1 or 2 times per day i.e about 7 - 10 times per week).

I feel lethargic. I lack concentration and have very poor memory. Sometimes i fear public speaking or looking at a ferson face to face. Anxiety & depression reduced me to the extent i kept 3 arrears in my college I year(contradictory to my 90% when i passed out from school).

Is it correct to relate these symptoms to masturbation. All over the internet, internet is always said as a habit which is good. But i experience these problems....pls leave your suggestions for me.

12 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Best answer

Anil S has posted some very good information on the myths surrounding masturbation.

Your anxiety and depression are the most likely reasons for your lack of concentration, poor memory and lethargy. Anxiety and depression can manifest themselves physically and cause a host of problems.

Masturbation is a healthy activity, at 1-2 times a day (or 7-10 times a week) you're not abnormal. Everyone has different libidos; some people have higher, some lower. It could also be that you are "self-medicating" in an effort feel better. Having an orgasm releases those "feel good" hormones; which could be helping you temporarily.

It really sounds like the best way to help yourself would be to speak to a counselor or your doctor; you may actually have some chemical imbalance that is causing your anxiety and depression. Of course, take care of your physical health, get plenty of good nutrition, rest, and replenish your fluids.

Good luck, I hope you find the support you need and feel better soon! Don’t let out-dated myths cause you undue worry.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

beware of traumatic masturburatory syndrome.

could be kidney defieciency, if you also suffering from back ache or lethargy see a registered acupuncturist and chinese herbal medicine is very good too.

These are some helps

(1) Yoga, meditation, pilate

(2) Exercise - home or gym

(3) Acupuncture helps for addiction and cure try www.acupuncture.com

(4) Chinese Herbal medicine is very good

(5) Tapping technique

(6) Avoiding **** in TV, Internet

(7) Reading good books like “Chicken soup for the soul”

(8) Having good friends

(9) Getting a hobby, volunteering.

(10) Avoid Spicy, fatty, oil foods

(11) Go the toilet and empty the bladder before sleep

(12) Keep your genital area cool at time of sleep, wear gloves and socks if you feel cold

(13) Do not overeat or eat late

(14) Affirmations and Self Hypnosis or Self Talk.

(15) Check for prostate infections or inflammations

(16) Check for glandular imbalance

Good luck

• Poor memory and concentration cause by high level of stress or in other words you got depression. Masturbation don't really hurt or reduce your healthy.

• 1 decade ago

There are no known health risks of masturbation. It may however cause tiredness for a short time.

Source Wikkepedia

Myths about Masturbation

By Cory Silverberg, About.com

Updated: July 10, 2007

About.com Health's Disease and Condition content is reviewed by Medical Review Board

See More About:

* masturbation

* masturbation myths

* sex myths

The history of masturbation contains many bizarre and hard to belief moments of misinformation. Whether it causes blindness, insanity, acne, or hair growth, masturbation has been both the most reviled and most commonly practiced sexual behavior on the planet. To this day many of us are raised believing certain myths about masturbation. If you’re still trying to separate fact and fiction consider these common myths and the facts that debunk them.

Masturbation is something you do when you’re young, but then grow out of.

In fact, masturbation is a life long sexual activity. Surveys regularly show that anywhere from 70 to 95% of adult men and women masturbate. And while this may slow down as we age, many of us continue masturbating into our golden years. One survey of 800 adults over 60 found that that 46% of them masturbated, another found that 20% of seniors masturbated once a week or more. Masturbation isn’t just for the young, nor is it an “immature” form of sexual behavior.

Masturbation isn’t “real sex,” it’s only for people who can’t find a partner.

Masturbation is real sex. When you masturbate you can get really aroused, which can result in very real orgasms. In North America, we put values on different sexual behaviors, but this has no basis in science. From a health perspective, masturbation is as “real” a sexual behavior as intercourse, oral sex, or kissing. And research shows that people in relationships masturbate, which contradicts the myth that masturbation is only for loners.

Masturbation is bad for your health.

This myth originated with an anti-masturbation tract that was written in 1712 as a way to sell a bogus “tonic” that was supposed to stop the disease of “self-pollution”. Through the years there have been many colorful attempts to pathologize masturbation. They say it will make you go blind, it will give you acne, and it will grow hair on your palms. All claims that have been refuted by science. Today virtually all physicians and scholars agree that masturbation is harmless.

Masturbation is something men have to do, but women don’t “need” to.

While most statistics show that men do masturbate more than women, there is no evidence to suggest this is due to some biological “need” on the part of men to masturbate. What is true is that social attitudes toward female masturbation are much more negative, and this likely impacts both women’s early masturbation and their willingness to report masturbating in a survey. There is no research to suggest that the desire to masturbate is tied to biological sex or even gender.

People in relationships don’t masturbate.

This common myth often drives people in relationships to masturbate in private hiding it from their partners. Survey research shows that people of all ages masturbate when they are in relationships. Kinsey’s survey found that almost 40% of men and 30% of women in relationships masturbated. A study of Playboy readers found that 72% of married men masturbated, and a study of Redbook readers found that 68% of married women masturbated.

Too much masturbation is bad for you.

With very rare exceptions, frequent masturbation is not harmful. If an individual is compulsively masturbating or is unable to engage in any sexual behavior other than masturbation (and would like to), it is possible that there may be reason to consult a mental health professional. But masturbating, whether it is once a month, or three times a day, if it is part of a balanced sexual and social life, poses no specific risks.

Only certain kinds of people masturbate.

Survey research debunks this myth that only certain people masturbate. Whether you are 19 or 99, religious and conservative or secular and liberal, whether you are a parent, grandparent, uncle or aunt, whether you get around on your own two legs or use a wheelchair, scooter, crutches, or roller-skates to get around, almost everyone has masturbated at some point in their lives, and most of us continue to do so.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Masturbation is good, okay and normal. But nothing are good in too much. you r too much condition. i been done 4-5-6 per week since 11. that's okay till now. But sometime, i don't do for a week. Don't do masturbation is general exercise for daily life.

• 1 decade ago

There may be other reasons for your problem. Discover it. But i guess its not masturbation.

• 1 decade ago

whenever i hear this sort question i cant control myself of laughin .man per day 3 times monthly 100 times healthy n fit

u may have some other prob

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

u should masturbate when u cannot divert ur mind from sexual thoughts.. u should not always have sexual thoughts...

the thoughts should arise by it self.. it will arraise only u see any sexual behaviour of other persons... ok... so keep ur thoughts clean.. if u r arrosed much think of the person who thinks u as a gentle boy... so u ll help ur self to improve ur knowledge............

• 1 decade ago

its just coz u more like to think abt sex,,n ur mind diversify towrds sex while doing anything,,dats y u dnt rem things n cant concentrate,,,simple

• 1 decade ago

doctor keep on saying it is healthy...and natural..but it affects psychologically...do as much u can handle...don't look for parameters

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.