Joe Jo asked in PetsFish · 1 decade ago

Can fish taste what they're eating?

I have fantails and sometimes they eat their puke or whatever it is and I've never seen this happen but they might eat their own poop and I just wanna know if fish can taste what they'r eating. You may post your question here only if you can answer my question. Thanks. =D

I thought that they could taste because they eat their own poop and spit it back out. Thx all. =D

I think they can taste, because fish often try something and spit it back out like they don't like it.

Also, as for eating their own puke or poop, as gross as it sounds, lots of animals do this. Dogs and cats often will do it. For reasons a vet or an expert could explain.

ok so first of all it incredibly isn't any longer the semen that travels to the egg it incredibly is the sperm. Semen is what the sperm are in whilst they arrive out. The sperm leaves the semen interior of a couple of minutes and travels into the womb. Then it travels via the tubes to the place it expects the egg to be. that could take hours or longer based upon how nicely the sperm swim and how in the present day they bypass. maximum sperm are no longer formed precise and that they wander off or swim around in circles or in basic terms straight forward die till now they get there. yet because of the fact there are literally 1000's of them it incredibly isn't any longer oftentimes a topic. Sperm can stay as much as 5 days, yet 2-3 days is greater common.

They spit the food back out because it is a little to big for them to chew. I imagine they do have some kind of taste.

Of course fish have a sense of taste. All creatures can taste. If you believe they can smell then why would you think they can't taste?

That's an interesting question. I believe they can taste, but not the same way people do. They use their sense of smell to taste things...probably..

I can imagine they must have some taste.

My fish hated brine shrimp, but loved blood worms. If they didn't have a taste, why would they reject it when its part of their normal diet unless they didn't like how it tasted.

That's just my opinion.

i think so. because ours will accidentally eat poop and spit it back out.

fish can taste what they eat.

that is all i know but i THINK that they have different taste buds than humans so things taste different to them, maybe they taste very mild. like, they can barely taste them. but idk this for a fact.

do they have tongues??? If they do they most likely have tastbuds. But i dont think they have tongues

my plecostomous told me that everything tastes like sh** so I am gonna go with a yeah