timple asked in Beauty & StyleHair · 1 decade ago

are there any side effects of using epilators?how are they different from waxing?

what should be done to avoid any problems with epilators?

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

1) Any side effect from using an epilator would be the exact same side effect as getting waxed. (If you are prone to getting ingrown hairs, this will be the case with either method of hair removal.)

The effect in terms of effectiveness of hair removal is exactly the same, since they both pull out the hair.

2) Using an epilator is easier to do at home than doing your own waxing at home, and more economical than having regular waxings at an aesthetician's.

Epilators eventually discourage the re-growth of hair.

3) To avoid any problems, just bear in mind that this is an electrical device and shouldn't be used while in the bath or shower.

My personal recommendations for using an epilator:

1) Use over a dry sink (the hair that gets pulled out just falls, and the sink will help with easy clean-up).

2) After using, rub in some aloe to soothe the skin

3) Clean off the hair on the epilator with the included brush after use; occasionally, you may also use a cotton swab dipped in isoproponyl alcohol.

4) The first time using one (esp. if you have a lot of body hair) will be rather harsh/painful, so take your time and maybe do part of the area one day and finish the next. It gets easier with each use, since less and less hair will grow in.

I've used this one for years (and so does my sister), so I highly recommend it: http://www.amazon.com/Emjoi%C2%AE-Gently-Caress-No...

From Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epilator

An epilator is an electrical device used to remove hair by mechanically grasping multiple hairs simultaneously and pulling them out. The way in which epilators pull out hair is similar to waxing.

• ganser
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

Epilator Hair Removal Side Effects

• 4 years ago

if you are fed up with the tweezers and the time it takes......... i would say try the wax. if you think about your already pulling the skin weather you use wax or TWEEZERS. ive used tweezers for the past (what??)10 years and ive waxed on and and off throughout those 10 years..... i am not sagging or drooping....... i like waxing better but if you shave on and off......your hair growth pattern will not be equal and you will find that you have to use the tweezers regardless ---- so the best thing to do in my opinion is let your hair grow out for a day or two then use the wax...that way you will have hair to wax that is pretty much all the same length and the only side effect i can think of are a little redness where you waxed.........if its a good wax it should only be red for a few hours good luck and i hope you find the answer you were looking for!! -

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.