Do you believe that evolution and inteligent design are mutually exclusive?

Why or why not?

28 Answers

Relevance
  • Tai
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago
    Best answer

Not at all. I know plenty of Christians/Creationists who believe in evolution. Darwin himself believed in God, and believed that he had a guiding hand in the process. Many incorrectly associate the theory of evolution with the Big Bang theory, thinking that the two go hand-in-hand, however, you do not need to believe that the universe was created by an explosion of matter to recognize that life has changed since it began.

• J C
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

No, evolution is provable scientific theory which can be tested with tests that are repeatable. Scientists continue to learn more and more about evolution, but it doesn't alter anything, just explains more.

Intelligent design, with all due respect to the answer that calls it myth is more like medicine man hokum. It's made up nonsense that has no basis in fact or reality.

Intelligent design is just creationist crap recycled by the same people who are determined to keep American children ignorant just as they were. There's ample evidence that the same people cooked up this gobbledegook with pseudo-scientific phrases so that they cold bamboozle lawmakers and school boards who as always are afraid of offending their constituents, no matter how idiotic they are.

Intelligent design is mutually exclusive to the idea of the intelligent human beings. The only person who cold believe that contrived mumbo jumbo is someone on roughly the same mental evolutionary level as a zoo monkey.

The people who invented tis fraud are not stupid, but they rely on two themes. If you put religion in it, people will pay the price in dollars for whatever you tell them, especially if it means they don't have to strain their brains with reality based studies. The second theme that they don't speak out loud is, as Mencken said, "no one ever went broke by underestimating the intelligence of the American people."

But, of course Mencken lived in a time when the right wing religionists were trying to force through laws prohibiting states from teaching evolution or any other science, pretty much as they do today.

The difficulty is that for religious nuts who actually believe in the fraud of intelligent design, if they're honest, they'll realize their faith is also a fraud.

it's ot a problem many churches and religions have. Noted religious leaders 80-100 years ago emphatically said their faith did not depend on man'ls attempt to deny the reality of facts, whether in science of other areas.

Religion has been pushing false beliefs forever. Does the Sun revolve around the earth instead of the other way around -- and is Earth the center of the universe. It hasn't been that long since the intelligent design people were burning good decent people at the stake for beleving truth meant something -- and made the mistake of discovering that the Earth is not the center of the universe.

If you never staked your faith on claptrap, you won't lose it when the claptrap is proven wrong.

Assuming there really is a god, do you really believe he gives a s*** who wins a bicycle race or scores a touchdown or whether you've been masturbating again. You can't exactly ask your preacher about that and he won't tell you the truth about that either. Too many of them have dirty little secrets. Like the one in the Source list.

That particular little mess is something that everyone tried to cover up, just like they did with Ted Haggard and all the rest of the cryptonuts who lead many of these churches. Imagine what he was telling kids for decades while he was out buying rubber suits.

This got mention on fundamentalist boards -- and for a while there were allegations that he was murdered and demands that the report be released. Then when it finally was, all of those boards were carefully wiped to hide the evidence. It's what we've come to expect.

• 1 decade ago

Yes and no...

First I want to drop the PC junk-- we all know that ID really means creationism....

I believe they can't happen at the same time.

Considering that death are reproduction are necessary for evolution, and considering that I believe that death and reproduction weren't happening before the Fall....

I think that God created life on this planet, and that life was perfect- no death, no disease....

Adam and Eve ate of the Fruit of the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil, and introduced death into the world. In response, God made all life fertile (able to reproduce)...

With death and reproduction now happening, evolution could have an affect on life.

You sent me an email asking about the archaeological evidence... What if God used evolution to create...!

Suppose God created things as ordered in Genesis/Moses. Why would archaeological evidence not show up in the same order?

Source(s): Moses 6:48
  • 1 decade ago

Intelligent Design was a politically motivated religious doctrine masquerading as science. The mask has been pulled. They aren'y mutually exclusive. Evolution is observed and ID has been shown to be fiction.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Yes, they are completely exclusive. Evolution assumes that Man was formed from lower forms of matter, while intelligent design assumes that Higher Beings created Man, a lower life form.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Darwinism is against the most important principles of causality and defends selforganization. It is against an intervention of God.

Intelligent design refuses selforganization and supposes an intervention of God.

This is contrary.

• 1 decade ago

Evolution within a species is a scientific fact. One only need to look at the different breeds of dogs, horses or other animals to see this. In fact, man has been meddling in the evolution of many species for thousands of years. Please note, though, that his has been within species. ( For example, you can cross a horse with a donkey and get a mule, but you can't cross a horse with an elephant. )

Evolution from one species to another is a different story. Darwin's theory that man came from apes is still only a THEORY - it has never been proven. (A missing link has not been found because there isn't one - let alone many!)

I believe in evolution, but not Darwin's theory. I believe our universe was made by God's intelligent design, and evolution within a species is a major part of it. But Darwin just went too far.

And thanks to Father Mike who helped me understand this!

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

They are inclusive and cooperative. Evolution is the studying of the world based on scientific methods, intelligent design based on religious methods; an intelligent learner may look into both to attain true knowledge.

GU-UN

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I just answered a question that had to do with this subject so here goes. I believe that evolution and intelligent design are in direct conflict with each other. In the book of Genesis number one God said that he created Adam from the dust of the earth and that he breathed the breath of life into his nostrils and that he created Eve from a rib out of Adam. Number 2 God commanded every creature to reproduce after their kind. Man after man, ape after ape, fish after fish. Nowhere did he command them to evolve into other things. If God created the first man and the first chimp/Ape also then how can a chimp evolve into a man? How can the two coexist? They are in direct opposition to each other. Either you believe one or the other. If you need exact scripture I would be glad to give it also just e-mail me and let me know.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.