2,500 yrs from now who will be regarded as more imortant, Jesus or the atheist Thomas Edison?

I think Edison will be revered. Just like we revere Aristotle (educator/philosopher/1st to record science) and Hippocrates (father of medicine), but not Zeus and Athena.

I wonder if people will study Christian mythology.

Edison said, "religion is all bunk" he said a few other choice things as well.

Zeus is not revered, we find the Greek Gods amusing and silly. Educated people in the western world revere the Greek scientists, historians, doctors, and philosophers.

This is a legit question, not a joke. Religions come and go as do inventions. I think Edison's contributions will be remembered. I think the teachings of Christianity will be considered mythology. Many agree.

if were still around and if the religion survives and they prove the religon to be true than id say jesus but i think thomas edison will most likely be held more important

• KAL

Laugh...you think Aristotle or Hippocrates are widely revered today? Take a survey sometime and you might be surprised at the number of people who haven't even heard of them or know nothing more than "he was a philosopher" or "he was the father of modern medicine"!

How many great Roman inventors can you name? Who, for example, invented concrete (something you depend on at least as much as the light bulb)? The Romans knew how to make concrete and that awesome invention was lost during the dark ages and wasn't rediscovered until a few hundred years ago...but Jesus survived. Many other wonderful, life-changing inventions were also lost during that time...but Jesus survived.

I'd bet that more people alive today could tell you a lot more about Jesus than they can about Thomas Edison...and in 200 years or so (let alone 2,500), the majority won't have a clue who Edison was or what he did beyond a sentence or two in a history book!...but if we're still here, then Jesus will still be here and he'll still be the most controversial and influential person that ever lived!

1. Edison wasn't atheist. While he wasn't Christian, he DID believe in a Supreme Being... which disqualifies one to be called an ATHEIST. (See wikipedia article cited below)

2. Really, I do not think the we "revere" Aristotle or Hoppocrates. To "revere" someone is to honor or WORSHIP them as a DIVINE being. They were NOT divine beings!

3. I would not put Edison on the same "philosophical" plane as Jesus. Whatever else you believe Jesus to be, He was a theologian, moralist, and prophet. Edison was an inventor who may have "speculated" about philosophy, but he never even publised any books or papers on theology or philosophy. The two of them "apples and oranges."

4. Zeus & Athena are mythology.

Have a blessed day.

Our society doesnt revere Aristotle nor Hippocrates. These are predecessors to their fields and that is why they are studied. Just like Apples are from fruits and Carrots are vegetables.

Jesus Peace and blessings of Allah be on him, was in fact even more important why?Because over 1 billion Muslim reveres him. Jesus Christ will come back one day however that is a different story.

Thomas Edison did something yea so what?in2,500 i bet you his invention will become obsolete. However Jesus Christ brought wisdom, morality, humbleness and the MEssege of God.

If the rapture happens it's irrelevant. If it doesnt with the populations growth so grows Christianity. Edison will certainly be remembered as we remember the contributions of Aristotle or even the worst of our society. They certainly shape the world in which we live today, but noone and nothing outshines the one who has prepared a place for us in his father's house which is incomphrehensible compared to all of our innovations in thinking and technology. Jesus prevails.

Meh, I'm an atheist and even I wouldn't say that. I think that Thomas Edison has certainly had a more positive impact on my life and society in general, but you cannot deny the tremendous power that the religions based on the life of Jesus Christ (whether he actually existed or not) have had in shaping not only our country, but much of the western world for thousands of years.

I think Isaac Newton did more for humanity than Edison or Aristotle or Hippocrates... but he was a chritian.. people say he has the Gift of knowledge and the Gift of wisdom from God.

That would certainly depend upon who's giving the answer. From my perspective, according to scripture Jesus Christ conquered death, hell and the grave, and is alive forevermore. He's a living legend. Now, would you give more honor to a dead man who through wisdom given to him, utilizes the Creator's natural resources to benefit mankind whose contribution is temporal, or would you put the greater emphasis and honor the man Christ Jesus "who brought life and immortality to light through His gospel"? Read: Hebrews 2:14-15; John 11:25-26; 2 Timothy 1:9-10 etc.

Source(s): King James Bible
  • Daniel

Thomas who? Who is that?

I know who Jesus is. He's been well known for 2,000 years, what's another 2,500.

Acts 19:15, "And the evil spirit answered and said, Jesus I know, and Paul I know; but who are you?"

That probably will reflect Edison.

Christianity has already lasted over 2000 years, I doubt anything can stop it from lasting another 2500. Besides, how do you know Edison won't be reviled for creating such an environmentally destructive and inefficient method of producing light?

• Heath

If the world exists 2500 years from now, nobody will know who Thomas Edison was (and I'd be very surprised if he was an atheist), but everyone will know the name of Jesus as they do today. Of course, if the world no longer exists, some of us will know Jesus as the source of our bliss, while the rest will know Him as the Judge who cast them into the fire.