Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsSkin Conditions · 1 decade ago

Can Jock Itch cause a smell?

I think I may have a fungal infection in the groin area. I'm pretty sure it's jock itch, but I am a little confused because I've got a musky smell coming from that area. So basically I just want to know, can jock itch cause that musky smell? If yes - what is the best way to get rid of it. If no - what else could cause that and how can i get rid of it.

Keep in mind, YES I do shower daily and I do clean everything

Help a guy out!

Jock itch is more famous for the itch than the smell- and that's more a rather cheesy odor from the fungus. Musky sounds more like a little crotch pot cooking going on in a teenage pair of shorts. Young males do produce a more musky sweat than older males. If you had jock itch, you would be talking uncontrollable itch and heat- not smell. You can solve the trouble with a looser fit in the shorts, and using a body powder containing baking soda and cornstarch. I get Gold Bond for my sons and hubbie for this reason. In hot weather, you might consider a pair of boxers as opposed to the tightie whities as well- and going commando at night to get the airflow going. Otherwise, cleanliness and body powder will solve your problem nicely.

Source(s): nurse, mom of 4
  • Erika

Jock Itch Smell

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Can Jock Itch cause a smell?

I think I may have a fungal infection in the groin area. I'm pretty sure it's jock itch, but I am a little confused because I've got a musky smell coming from that area. So basically I just want to know, can jock itch cause that musky smell? If yes - what is the best way to get rid...

Source(s): jock itch smell: https://shortly.im/eM3yg

2

Source(s): Natural Safe Herpes Remedy - http://HerpesCured.trustdd.com/?iDyF

Yes, you have jock itch. Yes, it can smell and not feel itchy. When it progresses, it will start to itch uncontrollably. It sounds like you have the beginnings of the fungus. So nip it in the bud before it gets worse. I'm sure if you scratched it, you would aggravate the skin around there and start to itch uncontrollably. So, no it doesn't itch unless you start scratching. Use Lamisil AT cream. If it doesn't at least start to work in about 5 days, consider going to your doctor to get a stronger dose of Lamisil in a gel or cream or even in pill form. However, I suggest trying over the counter Lamisil AT cream first. The spray is available if you like that better, but I like the cream so that I can apply it more thoroughly. I've found that the ingredient in Lamisil AT is the only thing that works for athlete's foot and jock itch, for me. I've tried Tinactin and other brands, but they do not work for me, and probably fail to work for most other people, too. Correspondingly, Lamisil AT is probably the most expensive of the OTC anti-fungal medications. Don't worry about that, just get it and you'll be rid of the smell in about two weeks or so with diligent application and not scratching the area and making sure to wash your hands after every wiz so you don't spread it on other parts of your body.

Yes, jock itch causes a sort of sour funky odor and the skin gets sort of weepy and sticky too. The smell can exist with or without itch and it can be on the area around the anus too. The antifungals help but in my experience, they don't completely get rid of it. They can also cause a burning on these sensitive areas, especially if you get it on the anus itself and you will need to wipe it off with a wet cloth. Best bet is to go to doctor and get Terbinafine (Lamisil) pills as I've done countless times however, doctors are reluctant to prescribe this because of liver issues it might cause. The pills are very nasty and smell like pine to me and your sweat will look milky but a fungus is difficult to get rid of since it can be systemic (within your entire body) and some get toenail fungus from it! You might have to see a dermatologist for further exam if this stuff comtinues but you need to nip it in the bud because it is VERY contagious!

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/WZ8Qj

The nurse is incorrect. Jock Itch is ringworm of the groin. It causes irritation, and when mixed with sweat, will eventually smell. It does not, however, cause bad breath. Good luck to you.

Yes, it can cause a smell. Try Lotrimin 1-2 times a day for a couple of weeks and that should help. If it persists you should see a doctor for a prescription of ketaconosole (sp?) or something.

It can cause an odor in the crotch area only. It's a rash that can cause minor damage to the skin. Your body's immune system fights the area of the rash and causes a secretion that may emit an odor. As for the other areas, it's not related.

Shower first, then spray over the counter anti- fungal spray, yes the same kind you use on your feet is the same stuff for Jock Itch... Good Luck.