Are hindus allowed to drink alcohol (only hindus answer please)?

is it forbidden and does it result in bad karma?

Update:

why only hindus.....cause because last time i asked this question i was flooded with spam messages about how i should become catholic etc etc

27 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favourite answer

it is not the question ofhindu or muslim or any ism it is related with health &consciosness. alcohal is forbidden because it puts people in uncosciousness, unawareness and it seizes the power of discrimination, rationality and fair, positive thinking.also it spoils one's habit and bad for health.normally people get addicted and waste their money, energy on it.for a balanced, peaceful living alcohal is prohibited by hindu scriptures.luv, sw. maa

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 4 years ago

Do Hindus Drink Alcohol

• 1 decade ago

No, Hinduism does not forbid anything. Also just drinking alcohol does not get you bad karma. Some Hindu gods like intoxicants some dont.

What is important is that thru stories it is always told that moderation is key anything in excess can cause problems.

Although it must be said that for the Brahmin's. ie. those who wish to traverse the path of purity and knowledge it is not allowed.

• cancan
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

They believe that God is not separate from his creation. They are one and the same. There is no evil. All is good since all is God.

Life is an endless cycle of reincarnations until a person is able to escape it and merge into Nirvana, nothingness.

To break this endless cycle of birth, death, and reincarnation, it is necessary for a person to do charity and meditate to reach a higher consciousness.

The practice of yoga in its various forms is considered very important to reach this goal.

The devotees in the strict yoga groups are forbidden to eat meat, eggs, and fish. They are forbidden any forms of intoxication; no alcohol or drugs. No sex outside of marriage is allowed. And, within marriage, it is only to produce children. Neither is gambling allowed.

You can also find alcohol being used in religious occasion in orthodox Hindu groups.

There is nothing that is banned in Hinduism. You are responsible for your actions and you will get the results (good or bad), that is the karma theory.

It is something that you can not ban, see what happened in USA during prohibition.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 5 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Are hindus allowed to drink alcohol (only hindus answer please)?

is it forbidden and does it result in bad karma?

Source(s): hindus allowed drink alcohol hindus answer please: https://shortly.im/6s3A7
  • Nancy
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/5szKE

You heard of Soma bannam, Our Hindu Kings had them its kind of a Alcohol. It is not forbidden. But should always remain in your senses. You should not be drunk too much. I am not sure what your Human Gurus say about it as I am not bothered about them. God is the only one you and we all answerable too.

• 4 years ago

No..It is considered as Mahapataka. Chk Verse Manusmriti chapter 9, 235

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Hindus are adviced to refrain from intoxicants and consuming Non vev food. However doing both is not always an automatic sin.

It all depends on how much an individual is interested in spiritual progress.

• 1 decade ago

India is a Hindu majority country and the sale of liquor is the highest revenue earner for the Government in India. Need I say more? Drinking alcohal does not result in bad Karma if done in moderation. The Hindu deity Kaal Bhairava is served liqour as reverence and it is a Hindu ritual to drink alcohol in the deity's honor.

• 1 decade ago

All Hindus except the caste Brahmin's are allowed to drink alcohol (Somras) but only on certain prescribed occasions , like fighting war,while hunting etc not for merely enjoyment and getting drunk.

• 6 years ago

well my family are Hindu and most drink and smoke.

in Honesty, you are not supposed to drink, smoke, take drugs or have sex before marriage but these traditions most people of my generation and my parents have no objection to three out of four of them as taking drugs will put your family's rep in a bad place.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.