Bryan K asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 1 decade ago

Help me understand the 50% carbs, 30% protein, 20% fat concept?

Could someone help break down the math involved with the 50/30/20 nutrition rule.

That is the daily intake right? So based on a 2000 calorie diet, you are supposed to get 1000 calories from Carbs, 600 calories from protein, and 400 calories from fat...right?

Lets use this label for our example:

http://www.wholehealthnet.com/sections/ofinterest/...

If 250 calories is the amount per serving, protein is 5g and carbs are 31g, how do I know how many calories those represent? They go right ahead and tell you how many calories are from fat, so that part is a no brainer

If someone could literally "dumb" down this concept to me, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

Ok, so I just found a website explaining that

1 gram of fat is equal to 9 calories

1 gram of protein is equal to 4 calories

1 gram of carbs is equal to 4 calories

So, that "may" have just helped my math out tremendously

the simple way is to incorporate, in each meal, a healthy meal, foods that contain, a carb. a protein, and a fat.

for breakfast, lunch, and dinner and for snacks. so design your menu around that, eat 6 meals every 3 hours with this in mind.

All that is brainwashing. Just eat plenty fruits & vegetable & nuts & you will get all the nutrients that you need. Eventually go to a vegan diet first.