Why are Indian mother-in-laws so problematic?

Is it because they are possessive of their sons (mostly) and cannot learn to let go or share? Is it the culture of interference that makes these women think they have a right to stick their noses in business that does not directly affect them? On the contrary though, I once came across a wonderful... show more Is it because they are possessive of their sons (mostly) and cannot learn to let go or share? Is it the culture of interference that makes these women think they have a right to stick their noses in business that does not directly affect them?
On the contrary though, I once came across a wonderful mother/daughter-in-law relationship in Udaipur some time back. They were seriously "best friends". I asked her about her relationship and she told me that her mother in law does not get involved in their personal matter, gives advice ONLY when asked and gives her daughter in law freedom to enjoy her life as she pleases..... As a result, being so happy and all, their relationship grew into true friendship, with mutual respect and the giving of space/maintenance of privacy.
Is this rare?
Real life stories welcome!
Update: Sure, yes, I know all mother-in-laws can be a pain, but having traveled extensively in India, I have came across this problem almost on a daily basis, this one story I mentioned being one of the few exceptions.