Why Do People Make Issue with Spelling Mistakes?

I’ve seen many a good discussion in this forum plunging into ego battles because of trivial things. I'm sure everybody got emails with the jumbled up letters; it’s the look of the text that matters, not the addition/absence of a letter or two. I wonder how many of you are disgusted by those emails. But here,... show more I’ve seen many a good discussion in this forum plunging into ego battles because of trivial things. I'm sure everybody got emails with the jumbled up letters; it’s the look of the text that matters, not the addition/absence of a letter or two. I wonder how many of you are disgusted by those emails. But here, I'm seeing people pointing out spelling mistakes in their opponents' arguments. It seems to me like the most trivial method of making someone look stupid when one has nothing to say. Grammar mistakes, if done in large amounts can be very annoying but pointing at spelling mistakes to try to downgrade the opponent's argument is just despicable.
Some particular examples are on my mind right now, "and" (an) & "certinly" (certainly), and the placing of apostrophe (’). I'm sure the people who pointed out these mistakes in their proper contexts wouldn't have any problem 'deciphering' the text. Although spelling and grammar are essential, when they are used to point out trivial things in order to divert attention from the question at hand, it makes me wonder if this is really a place to propose and read ideas or just one where self-righteousness finds justification in intellect.