Difference between a friendly hug vs. a loving hug?!?

Ok, so I have this guy friend (who I also have a slight crush on). Whenever he sees me he'll come over and we'll always just stay together (I veer off and he'll follow). So today we were volunteering at a concert. And well, things escalated, he would put his arm around me and rub my arm once in a... show more Ok, so I have this guy friend (who I also have a slight crush on).
Whenever he sees me he'll come over and we'll always just stay together (I veer off and he'll follow).

So today we were volunteering at a concert. And well, things escalated, he would put his arm around me and rub my arm once in a while and constantly tries to poke me (which I take as a good sign).

Then at the end, I was just playfulling punching him in the stomach when he took me in and started to hug me. It wasn't a squeeze the life out hug, but like just right (he's like 6' while i'm 5'3''...so my head was like resting on his chest). Anyways, his hand was rubbing my the small of my back. And the hug lasted a long time (it eventually broke when one of my friends came and glomped us). Then after I asked the leader to leave (it was getting late and my mom was pissed), I came back and hugged him again. He did the same rubbing on the back and added a little squeeze to it.

~Was this like a friend hug or what?
Update: Oh, and my best guy friend who I've known for 5+ years hugs me all the time (especially when I'm down). He's about as tall, but normally its just a hug and then strokes my hair. BUT, I can bet my life that we're just friends, and he likes me just as a friend. So I'm wondering, could the... show more Oh, and my best guy friend who I've known for 5+ years hugs me all the time (especially when I'm down). He's about as tall, but normally its just a hug and then strokes my hair. BUT, I can bet my life that we're just friends, and he likes me just as a friend.

So I'm wondering, could the first guy just mean the same thing as my best guy friend?
He's a senior, and will be graduating soon (I'm just a junior, so I have to stay behind), so I want to get this straight before he leaves.

Thanks for your help!
Update 2: marissa: I don't know how he hugs everyone else, I've never actually seen him hug other people. When I see him he's hardly with his other friends, and I've only seen him with one other girl (I only see him during 3 passing periods). Oh, I know he's hugged two girls who volunteer with us.... show more marissa:
I don't know how he hugs everyone else, I've never actually seen him hug other people. When I see him he's hardly with his other friends, and I've only seen him with one other girl (I only see him during 3 passing periods).

Oh, I know he's hugged two girls who volunteer with us. But its like a shorter hug, and normally its the girls who ask for the bear hug type (arms wide open).