A question about medical marijuana....?

I am wondering, mostly to medical marijuana supporters, what the best avenue for legalizing its medical use is... Is this a decision that should be voted on by the legislature in the respective states? Should this be put to statewide referendum for all of the voters to decide? Should this be handled on the... show more I am wondering, mostly to medical marijuana supporters, what the best avenue for legalizing its medical use is...

Is this a decision that should be voted on by the legislature in the respective states?

Should this be put to statewide referendum for all of the voters to decide?

Should this be handled on the federal level (i.e. rescheduling marijuana)?

I am not sure which avenue I support, all I know is that its inhumane to deny people medicine that makes their lives better or could extend them. Personally, I suffer from debilitating chronic pain and I use medical marijuana to treat my pain, muscle spasm and to help me sleep. Formerly I was on strong narcotics like morphine ER and oxycontin but now I am able to manage my pain with marijuana and less addictive pharmaceuticals. Marijuana for me is a medical issue and should be left up to my doctors, not the state.

What are your thoughts on the topic?
Update: Bart- That is the problem currently, because the ultra-partisan government will never allow the FDA to reconsider its stance that marijuana is not medicine, that won't happen... so you say it should be treated as medicine, not politics but you would require getting through an agency that treats it politically.... show more Bart- That is the problem currently, because the ultra-partisan government will never allow the FDA to reconsider its stance that marijuana is not medicine, that won't happen... so you say it should be treated as medicine, not politics but you would require getting through an agency that treats it politically. That's why I think rescheduling may be necessary... right now marijuana is schedule I with heroine and LSD meaning it has no medical value. I think it should be bumped down to schedule II alongside cocaine and methamphetamine (desoxyn) or even schedule III alongside vicodin and THC pills (marinol).