Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Games & RecreationBoard Games · 1 decade ago

Is it too late to become a Grandmaster?(Chess)?

I just learned chess at the age19 and almost all of the grandmaster and world champions start when they're very young. Is it to late for someone that justed started at the age of almost twenty?

Favorite Answer

Hello --

Technically yes it is possible ... but the work will be very hard unless you already show some talent for the game.

Lets say you are 1500 rated player (about average strength) -- if you study hard you should be able to gain a hundred rating points per year ... so in 5 years you could expect to be an expert ... master is a few years after that. The problem is, of course we are talking about a 5 year commitment, and some people level off at 1900 and never get to expert level.

I would find a chess coach (master level) ... play a few games and then go with his opinion of your play.

Best of luck in your journey,

Bill

No,

Chess at that level competitively speaking is extremely brutal besides you need the right tools to be a GM a very strong will to win, the nerves to stand the stress, good memory, a talent for the game.

There's lots and lots of travel involved not cheap and very expensive: hotels, food and lodging, airfare, car rental.

While your putting all this commitment and effort to become a Grandmaster how are you going to ever find the time to make a living? if your rich this isn't an issue but if your not it will be.

Yes it is. Learning chess at 19 makes it virtually impossible to reach Grandmaster class these days. You can still become quite good however.

In addition to Tchigorin, Joseph Henry Blackburne also learned the moves late (when he was 18) and went on to become one of the strongest players in the world. Bear in mind though that in just a few years both of these players had achieved great results; Blackburne in fact beat Steinitz in a tournament game just a couple years after learning the moves! Also remember that the competition was much MUCH less severe back then.

• Julie

Daddy Bush has been big in the CIA from 1963 to 1990 actually and I believe that he is NOW one of the top seats, if not #1, in the Illuminati. We should go check out the front door to their meeting place in Venice at the next meeting and see who shows up. THAT would be interesting. Besides us backing the Al-Qaeda against Russia and building them up to the power they are today, we ALSO installed Sadaam Hussein in Iraq and trusted him to run the country and keep it in line for MANY years, AND we trained Noriega and installed him in Panama many years ago. Even more important is that the ruling families from the Sumerian Empire in 3180 BC are STILL The ruling families today. The Ramses of 3180 BC became the Piso's of the Roman Empire and are now the Bush Family. Also, look at the Windsors and the Rothschilds. The Rothschilds go WAY back before the 1800's and I believe if you track them you will find that they started in the Khazar Empire in the Caucasus Mtns. The Rothschilds claim their bloodline goes back to Nimrod in Babylon. The connect to the Ramses-Piso-Bush bloodline. The Rothschilds were the Bauers and were one of the most RUTHLESS families in history. Red is the sign of Revolution throughout history and since the ancient origins of the Brotherhood. A red shield hung over the door of Mayer Amschel Bauer in Frankfurt just after he changed his name to Rothschild, or Red Shield (rotes schild in German) back in the 1800's with the EXPRESS PURPOSE of hiding his bloody ancestry. On the Rothschild family shield was a hexagram, a star of David, which is now on the flag of Israel. People think it is a Jewish symbol but this same symbol was found on the floor of a 1,200 year old Muslim mosque which stood on the site of present day Tel Aviv. The hexagram only became used by the Jewish hierarchy as their symbol with the emergence of the Rothschilds and it has absolutely NOTHING to do with 'King David' as the Jewish leaders well know. It is on the Jewish flag, not because Israel is the Land of the Jews , it is the land of the Rothschilds and those who dictate to Israel from even higher up the Brotherhood Pyramid. The answer to your question is that not ALL Americans are unaware of what is happening but we are intelligent enough not to SPEAK about this in public. I sent an email to Clinton one time bringing just a few of these things to light and my house was broken into 4 times shortly thereafter. I owned a motorcycle shop so I called my friends in the Hell's Angels to find out who did it and the President of the HA's was worried since he did not know about the perps on THREE of them. They had already caught the 4th and had taken care of the problem and assured me that it would not happen again but the other three were unknown. When I mentioned that it was impossible for the HA's NOT to know he said that was true UNLESS it was a high level op from the fed level or the Shadow Govt. What followed THAT was enough to write a book but getting it published would only be a dream since it would never be viewed by the public and anyone who read it would shortly see God! I would like to tell you more but I do not relish "swimming with the fishes" so I will end this now. Good day ... we are not ALL in the Dark ... but that's where we hide. Peace, Love, and Lght! I AM Dartagnon

I think a few GMs from the past started late in life, most famously Tchigorin. But at any level - it is very hard to compete as an adult against teens who live and breathe chess.

yes its possible but itll take a lot of hard work. if u work hard and sincerely u shoud b a pro in a yr or 2

It is highly improbable. The time needed to advance is considerable and costs can be a killer.

It is never too late to start a new dream.

Go ahead

study like 8 hours a day and your rating will skyrocket.