Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceCorporations · 1 decade ago

globalization reversible?

do you think globalization is irreversible now given how things are with the likes of starbucks and all them on every street corner?

is there any way to reverse its effects or is it truly irreversible (why is it?)

Update:

wow this got a whole lot more answers than i expected.

Update 2:

i leave it to the vote. democracy n all that.

56 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favourite answer

yes when the revolution comes brother

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 1 decade ago

One thing I learned from years of just observation is that you can't take any trend and make a linear projection to predict the future. For example many hard working families believed that real estate would go up 3 to 7 per cent a year forever. I don't believe that China's economy will grow 10% per year or that oil will go up forever. Watch for the ebb and flow of history and don't buy the trend.

Globalization has been a major trend for at least 20 years. It will peak and then decline and a new trend will take over. It could be that whatever replaces globalization will be less a less attractive option, but we can hope it will be an improvement.

In the mean time, why go to Starbuck's? I recall we use to go to the one of the original Starbucks on a corner somewhere in downtown Seattle in the early 80's. Then it was a great, now it has no soul.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Globalization is making the world one big, boring shopping mall. You can travel from Bangkok to Brussels and not find a decent locally-made souvenier. It's all crap from China.

A Yahoo! member recently wrote me about how nothing authentic remains in England. There used to be charming pubs on every corner, with long traditions and a local flavor. Now they are all mass-marketed chains, bland, and predictable. Is this what we want? Nothing unique left in the world? I was just in Dubai (part of the United Arab Emirates), and the stores were practically the same as those in the Europe.

Globalization also seems to hurt the poor, indigenous populations the most. The poor in places like Peru have not benefitted from capitalism. If anything, they have become largely landless and without any means of making money in the new economy.

Why do people hate McDonalds? Because they prey on peoples' worst tendencies: convenience over substance, predictability over innovation. McDonalds often acts like a vulture. It targets properties that have financial problems, and snatches them up, replacing the original use of a beautiful, historic building with their garish plastic nightmare. In places like Paris, people still have leisurely lunches, but as the temptation grows for French companies to squeeze more work out of their employees, those respectable lunches may be shortened as employers point out that they can eat fast food.

Let's stick with examples from France. One thing the French excel at is producing relatively small quantities of a product with very high quality. In the globalized market, these companies cannot compete. A small, private French dairy making high quality cheeses has far greater costs than some massive dairy corporation in Argentina. With globalization, the distributors can't be bothered to stock these small quantities, so no matter where you travel, you always get the same mass-marketed products.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Well, first you need to realize that having a starbucks on every corner and street is not globalization. Before you ask the question you should check out the world bank website and their presentations to get a better idea of what globalization is...

In most countries other than your most modern western cultures, globalization relies on transparency of government / function, equal distribution of wealth, etc... (big reason why many countries such as Cuba and China until recently have had problems picking up globalization. However, as we all know countries such as China have relied on the United States globalizing them aka giving them all our manufacturing jobs and out sourcing major services. Ever notice if you call customer support you are really calling India with some person told to give you an American name such as Jane Smith?

Now this is my opinion, but we have notice at least with the current economic conditions that we must reverse globalization of we will continue to witness stagflation on almost as rampant a rate as pre- WW2 Germany.

We reverse this by manufacturing goods and ultimately exporting more than we import (which is basically how globalization runs in America due to our starch transparency in business and government). We also reverse globalization by searching for new technologies to better our country as a society and possibly open up new markets for such given technologies.

If you understand the meaning of globalization than you will definitely understand where I am coming from. If you have any questions feel free to ask and I can answer. I wrote my senior college thesis on Globalization and Markets.

Source(s): research, college, life
  • What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

One aspect of globalization are the business that have connections overseas and with regulation we could probably stop that if we wanted to. The other part of globalization is having friends and relations in different countries. Those connections would be impossible to break. For instance, we'll never go to war with Mexico. For so many people it would be declaring war on family or your friend's family.

There is a lot said about the economic and business ramifications of globalization, but the human connections, bonds of trust, understanding and (excuse my touch feely goo) love are important and hopefully in the long run will overcome the bad.

(Before getting worked up over how much a worker is paid per hour make sure you have something to compare it to such as the price of a pound of rice in that country. If the wage is bad your argument is strengthened and if the wage isn't that bad you've learned something. Factory conditions may be crappy, but the alternatives may be sustenance farming or prostitution. There is no such thing as a black and white issue.)

• 1 decade ago

Globalization is really national governments and federations losing control to corporate empires.

Now these national governments are likely to want to put their hand in and influence what is happening in a much more direct way. That is the meaning of reversing globalism.

Can it happen and will it of course are separate questions. Malaysia had demonstrated a significant national benefit if taking a lot of control back from the corporate world, and China is facing a lot of internal pressure to retain a lot of control over corporations.

Keeping control of corporations is not communism, so much as nationalism. Governments do prefer to do a bit of trust busting of their own now and then. If corporations appear to be foreigners ruling the country it is easy for opposition groups to raise nationalist sentiment and take back control of the corporations, or force them to become national corporations, subject to national rules only.

We can predict that such moves will be disastrous, but failure to make them can also topple governments. The problem then may be best averted when corporations carefully avoid the impression that they are strictly governed by the profit motives of their foreign owners.

Telling the truth, and acting like spoiled children is likely to force governments to dissolve the international ties of the corporations. It will be break the corporation or be broken by nationalism.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Globalization is reversible for sure. It's called war! Anyone who has done their homework knows that before each of the last 2 world wars there was a major rise in inflation & a major rise in population. This planet is nearing 6.8 billion people & food riots are already taking place. It sounds like people will have to fend for themselves without big business being there to put dinner in front of them. Nerves are being further strained to their threshold point with every passing day. It won't be long before "keeping up with the Jones'" won't be worth a damn. Rich or poor, the main focus will be the ability to be eating every day. So much for McYuk Yuk's & Starbucks' then. They'll be the the topic of discussion when the question "Do you remember when" comes up.

• 1 decade ago

I have never heard any serious economist seek a reversal of the globalization of the world economy. There is no rational reason to reverse a working economic model that fits the information age of the 21st century. How could you ever sell a $60,000.00 Chevy if Detroit was to be restored? The toothpaste is out of the tube.

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

globalization reversible?

do you think globalization is irreversible now given how things are with the likes of starbucks and all them on every street corner?

is there any way to reverse its effects or is it truly irreversible (why is it?)

Source(s): globalization reversible: https://tr.im/tbIEc
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Anything is reversible. It depends on the working individual. Right now if everyone stopped their jobs, bying and investing into businesses etc...... It would all be taken care of. The only thing is that people are afraid too do these things. It is all run on money. If we stopped giving money its power anything can be accomplished. No corperations of power. No extremely rich. No poverty. Parents would be home with their children. Neighbors would get back to working together. All of the power is with in the working class citizen. Sorry if you don't agree with my views but, i am just being honest.

• 1 decade ago

It's somewhat akin to a snowball rolling down a snowy slope. It's picking up more and more as it travels....and gets more and more difficult to stop.

Globalization is something that was masterminded in boardrooms decades ago. A masterful plan which put the entire globe in the hands of corporations worldwide.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.