Does the food we eat (veg, non-veg) affect the spiritual progress?

• Prema

The food we eat does affect spiritual progress. Obviously the food ingested has an affect on both our physical and mental health. On the spiritual path mental vigor, purity and clarity are not only needed in order to concentrate during focused spiritual practices, but every moment daily. Therefore, foods that are natural and wholesome increase mental clarity, garnering vitality and vibrant mental and physical health. So, wholesome natural foods create harmonious balance supplying vital energy for the body/mind mechanism. Fast foods, cheap antibiotic/ hormone laden meats, foods that are processed and empty of nutrition create physical and mental illness thereby limiting ones spiritual progress severely. These foods are void in nutrition leading humanity toward physical and mental diseases, in turn spawning mental and physical dullness, lethargy and sloth and are not appropriate for a spiritual diet.

Commercialized, mass produced factory farmed meat that is available in the common supermarket chains (North America) can be deemed inappropriate for a spiritual diet. The animals produced for mass consumption are fed questionable quality feed, given hormones, drugs, existing in crowded inhumane conditions and live in a climate of stress and fear. The stress and fear these animals endure is deep within their cellular structure. This negative stressful state, hormones, drugs and the suffering anguish of these animals is transmitted to humans when they consume meat produced under these less than appropriate conditions. Meat raised naturally, with compassion and care in a humane manner can be appropriate in a spiritual diet if eaten sparingly with conscious gratitude for the animal sacrificed for consumption. The same can be said for wild meat which is untainted by drugs, hormones and the unnatural factory farmed status . From a spiritual perspective when we are consuming meat there must be a climate of awareness, gratitude and balance when consuming it. From a physical and mental health perspective the over consumption of any meat is not desirable and is an unsound practice.

People who practice meditation and other refined spiritual practices do indeed notice the effect that food has on their spiritual practice. The food consumed has a direct affect on life force energy. It is very difficult to have focused meditation/spiritual practice if one habitually consumes poor quality meat and other empty, nutritionally void foods on a regular basis. Food that is nutritious and light is best for the cultivation of purity, balance and harmony. Personally, I have always practiced at a higher level when eating a balanced pure vegetarian diet. If undertaking the rigors of an arduous meditation/spiritual retreat, I would eat strictly vegetarian because of increased clarity. Those who have not undertaken a meaningful spiritual practice have not yet cultivated the level of consciousness needed to be aware that the food they consume, and the environment they live in has a positive or negative effect on spiritual work. A poor diet, high in meat, fast food, spices, processed and refined foods most definitely contributes to poor spiritual progress, physical disease, emotional dysfunction and mental illness.

Source(s): Experiential yoga sadhana presented from a state of enduring "Gentle Love".

I have been a vegetarian for over a year and a half. I do not judge or look down on those who choose to eat meat. In fact, I only have one friend (my brother) who is a vegetarian also. The rest of my friends and family eat meat. (I say this because vegetarians are often unfairly accused of being arrogant or thinking they're better than others. I do not and I never tell anyone else what to eat - I expect the same from them.)

Anyway, I do feel different spiritually. I feel a greater connection with nature... with the lives of the creatures around me. I know that might sound silly, but it's true. This is the path I have chosen; the path that is right for me. I love it. I feel great.

• anna

Only in the sense that eating too much or the wrong foods can make you feel lethargic or ill. Paul says not to pay attention to those that forbid this or that food. Peter received a vision from God in which he was told "Don't call anything "unclean".

If you find, as I do, that you feel more energetic and healthier when following a vegetarian or mostly vegetarian diet, do so. But don't try to make others conform to your choice of food. We are told that if we can give thanks to God for it, we can eat it.

We are no longer under law but under grace. I know some strict vegetarians/vegans and really their diet becomes their religion, it's all about what they will or won't eat. It's difficult to socialise with others when the world has to revolve around what you will or won't put in your mouth. What they're really saying is, "It's all about me."

That sort of egocentric attitude would be a lot bigger hindrance to spiritual life than just eating what's put in front of you. Spirituality isn't about "Me" it's about God and others.

• CH

I suppose if you're unhealthy in some way then it's likely to affect other aspects of your life so that could include spiritual.

On a related topic, the Jews believe that when the Messiah comes, the world will be vegetarian as they were in the garden of eden and this is seen as ideal.

Here's an extract from a Jewish website relating to this.

"Judaism teaches that in the Messianic times, the harmony between people and non-human animals that existed in the Garden of Eden will be reestablished. As Isaiah stated, it will be a time when ". . . the wolf shall dwell with the lamb, . . . the lion shall eat straw like the ox, . . . and no one shall hurt nor destroy in all of My (G- d's) holy mountain." (Isaiah 11: 6-9) Based on these verses, Rabbi Abraham Isaac Hakohen Kook, first Chief Rabbi of pre-state Israel and one of the great philosophers of the 20th century, argued that people will be vegetarians during the time of Moshiach, as they were in the garden of Eden."

As Mizz Zero pointed out, this lifestyle can make you feel very close to nature, I'm guessing because you won't feel guilty and you're more in harmony and cooperation with nature than using them. I don't know because I'm not a vegetarian but I mean to consider it.

I think it does, but not in the way you would think. Your life is based upon what you eat. Your lifestyle is based around what you eat. Your health is determined in large by what you eat.

I personally don't see any benefit of being veg or non-veg, but I think others maybe get more out of abstaining from meat, and others get more out of eating meat. I see it as a very personal choice.

We are what we eat! Food determines our temperament. It depends on what you want to be. Soldier, teacher, farmer and so on need different food. Spiritual progress that requires quietening of body and mind to enter a subtle and sensitive realm is best achieved by vegetarian foods.

Yeh, your spiritual growth can be affected by excessive eating/drinking, excessive sexual behaviour, and excessive sleep.

That's because by indulging in too much habits, you become excessive in them - so you focus less on your spirituality. More physical attachment (to the world) leads to less spirituality. Although you should have a balanced way of life. While reading the life spendings of many sufisis, i learnt one thing, they all ate less & simple. they tried to avoid or least used the non-veg food. :)

They all add karmas (veg and non veg) so all retart the spiritual progress.

Food is to maintain our body. Our body creates our mind as per its constitution. Our mind influences our Soul. So it is a Natural derivative that type of food we take will effect our mind and spiritual progress.

yes. food contains life energy. the kind of food you eat and the way in which it's prepared determines the kind of life energy you charge your body, mind and spirit with. the level of balanced and harmonious vs. diseased energy present in the food you consume will determine how well, or dis-eased, your being develops. if you eat a lot, a lot of food like meat - which contains the energy of pain and suffering of the animal being killed for food - or industrially processed food, which has all the priceless life energy 'processed' out if it and so you are eating empty food just to fill your stomach but provide 0 life energy, you're gonna be sick and spiritually empty. if you eat food that is whole, natural, devoid of imbalance, disharmony and the energy of pain and suffering, prepared with care and loving intention, that energy will influence the development of your being in a positive way.