Saw a large ring around the moon yesterday night (Indian Standard Time)?

I am in Chennai. The ring of light had a large diameter and covered almost the entire line of sight. Has anyone else seen the same? What was it?

I think it's just moisture in the air (atmosphere). I have always been told it means

rain is coming.

The ring that appears around the moon arises from light passing through six-sided ice crystals high in the atmosphere. These ice crystals refract, or bend, light in the same manner that a camera lens bends light. The ring has a diameter of 22° , and sometimes, if you are lucky, it is also possible to detect a second ring, 44° diameter. Thin high cirrus clouds lofting at 20,000 feet or more contain tiny ice crystals that originate from the freezing of super cooled water droplets. These crystals behave like jewels refracting and reflecting in different directions.

• i was in village side till my school final. i have seen every now and then such rings around moon. now i am in chennai.

i think chennai people in chennai are not at all looking the sky and someone by fluke seen the ring. there were lot of SMS and even news papers (THINA THANTHI) published as if it is very rare.

it is only due to ice particles.

villagers used to say trere will be rains in the near future if the ring is big and the it is far if the ring is small.

in my experience i have seen both big and small rings several times. chennai has exposed the ignorance yesterday.

In Chennai (where it never snowed), the larger the ring the earlier the rain. If it is smaller next rain (assured) takes longer to arrive.

No they are ice crystals formed around the moon and the reason we could see it because the sun which is behind the moon helped the reflection through the ice crystals

• GeoffG

Lunar haloes like this are quite common atmospheric effects. They are caused by ice crystals at high altitude in the Earth's atmosphere.

Ice particles in the high atmosphere often produce such halos.

They used to say that that means it's going to snow. But the latest I read is that it indicates a change of weather.

yes, i saw the ring... my mom told if it happens.. the rain comes soon in the week... i don't no the reason

its called a halo(sun dog). it means that it is going to rain or a storm is approaching.