Was thomas edison a christian?

Favorite Answer

Edison was an atheist, or at most, a deist or pantheist.

He did not believe that there is an immortal soul, or Heaven.

• favero

Thomas Edison Religion

Looks like he was most likely a deist rather than Christian:

In an October 2, 1910 interview in the New York Times Magazine, Edison stated:

Nature is what we know. We do not know the gods of religions. And nature is not kind, or merciful, or loving. If God made me—the fabled God of the three qualities of which I spoke: mercy, kindness, love—He also made the fish I catch and eat. And where do His mercy, kindness, and love for that fish come in? No; nature made us—nature did it all—not the gods of the religions.[53]

Edison was accused of atheism for those remarks, and although he did not allow himself to be drawn into the controversy publicly, he defended himself in a private letter: "You have misunderstood the whole article, because you jumped to the conclusion that it denies the existence of God. There is no such denial, what you call God I call Nature, the Supreme intelligence that rules matter. All the article states is that it is doubtful in my opinion if our intelligence or soul or whatever one may call it lives hereafter as an entity or disperses back again from whence it came, scattered amongst the cells of which we are made."

Nope, he recognized it for the hogwash it really is. Truly a man ahead of his time:

"My mind is incapable of conceiving such a thing as a soul. I may be in error, and man may have a soul; but I simply do not believe it." [Thomas Edison, Do We Live Again?]

"All Bibles are man-made." [Thomas Edison]

"So far as religion of the day is concerned, it is a damned fake... Religion is all bunk." [Thomas Edison]

"I have never seen the slightest scientific proof of the religious theories of heaven and hell, of future life for individuals, or of a personal God." [Thomas Alva Edison, Columbian Magazine]

"I do not believe that any type of religion should ever be introduced into the public schools of the United States." [Thomas Edison]

"To those seaching for truth - not the truth of dogma and darkness but the truth brought by reason, search, examination, and inquiry, discipline is required. For faith, as well intentioned as it may be, must be built on facts, not fiction - faith in fiction is a damnable false hope." [Thomas Edison]

"I cannot believe in the immortality of the soul... No, all this talk of an existence beyond the grave is wrong. It is born of our tenacity of life - our desire to go on living - our dread of coming to an end." [Thomas Edison, quoted in 2000 Years of Disbelief, Famous People with the Courage to Doubt, by James A. Haught, Prometheus Books, 1996]

"The great trouble is that the preachers get the children from six to seven years of age and then it is almost impossible to do anything with them." [Thomas Edison, quoted by Joseph Lewis from a personal conversation; source: Cliff Walker's Positive Atheism's Big List of Quotations]

"What fools." [Thomas Edison, commenting on he spectacle of hundreds of thousands making a pilgrimage to the grave of an obscure priest in Massachusetts, in the hope of effecting miraculous cures, quoted by Joseph Lewis from a personal conversation; source: Cliff Walker's Positive Atheism's Big List of Quotations]

"Incurably religious, that is the best way to describe the mental condition of so many people." [Thomas Edison, quoted by Joseph Lewis from a personal conversation; source: Cliff Walker's Positive Atheism's Big List of Quotations]

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/Xn81R

hahaha, thats funny in a strange way. I think it's the idea of somebody living/enjoying their life, "sinning" as much as they could, and then repenting/converting when they know the time has come when they might be punished. Like having their cake and eating it lol Dunno about his life though, apart from the obvious/famous bits.

Can you shed some light on the subject get it light!

Hey myth bomber I keep all your quotes too.

thats what I use to show people how simple minded they are

when say their is no God. I just have a hard time making you out to be famous as though that would lend credibility to a tidbit of a quote or conversation from the past of dead people. Their are plenty of famous people in judgement they all bleed and die the same way we do. be original use your own material, get a real name, and for heavens sake get saved.

Yes. Most great scientist are.

No, his scientific skepticism led him to lend no credence to faith-based

claims about the nature of reality.

atheist

He's a deist. ♂