What is the best Windows virus, spyware removal program? Norton or McAfee? Or something else?

I have "Spy Guard 2008" on my computer (I do believe it's malicious spyware stuff) and I need to get rid of it and it's components. I want to BUY a top notch virus cleaner/protector for WINDOWS XP. I haven't had a paid subscription to virus protection for a couple years now. I need... show more I have "Spy Guard 2008" on my computer (I do believe it's malicious spyware stuff) and I need to get rid of it and it's components. I want to BUY a top notch virus cleaner/protector for WINDOWS XP. I haven't had a paid subscription to virus protection for a couple years now. I need something spectacular that will clean my computer and protect me.

Should I buy Norton or McAfee? Which versions? Or is there something else out there that would fit my situation? Please be honest, and I appreciate your help! :)
Update: PS-
I think the one I have installed on my computer is McAfee, but it hasn't been renewed since I first bought my computer.
Update 2: Any sites that have to do with virus protection WON'T LOAD! It keeps saying "page error"....what does this mean?!?!
Update 3: Tried installing the search and destroy spyware...got this message:

"error sending request.
a connection with the server could not be established."
Update 4: Please email me at zzzonkout@aol.com for any more info if you already answered the question :)