Is windows XP better than windows Vista?

I recently got a new lap top as a gift from my parents. Although I was thrilled about the gift, I was a little upset to see that it had windows XP on it instead of windows vista. They told me after I asked about it that they wanted to get the best they could get, and that a lot of people told them that windows vista was no good, it was hard to operate and all sorts of stuff. So, what is your thoughts on the matter? Vista or XP?

13 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Best answer

Vista is differs a great deal from Windows XP.

Personally, I agree with your parents. XP is not only familiar, but it is compatible with more software then Vista.

XP is more compatible with 3rd party appliances like printers and scanners.

Though the above will change as Vista grows older,...

Vista is a resource hog. Vista requires your computer to have over 1 GB of RAM so that it can do its fancy Aero 3d thing that isn't useful.

Vista is a major change from XP, although I doubt that would be a problem to you.

Finally, if your parents already bought XP, why force them to spend anywhere from 1/4 to 1/2 a grand on a new operating system?

As of now, Vista is probably not the right choice for your laptop. Besides, Microsoft has already announced a new operating system that is 'better' then Vista. Windows 7.

• 4 years ago

Yes, Xp is better than vista considering 1 hardware requirements 2 stability 3 software compatiblity 4 security while Vista is better than Xp only in graphics

• 1 decade ago

you know, you can download Vista for free and install it into your PC.

This is how you do it:

download a bittorrent client (for example uTorrent or Azureus)

after that go to a torrent site (like www.torrentz.com)

search "windows vista"

click and download (using bittorrent client). Depending on your internet connection, your download could take anything from a few hours to a day.

After your download is finished, burn Vista to a DVD.

Leave the DVD in your drive and restart your computer.

Upon restarting, press "any key" when asked by your computer (BIOS)

From there choose to reformat your hard disk and install Vista. This will take about an hour.

Remember to get the correct video card, sound card and network drivers from your computer manufacturer and also remember to save all your files before the install

Email me if you have any questions

Source(s): done that several times
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I have Windows Vista on my computer and love it. It hasn't given me any problems, looks great and works fine. In comparison to XP, I like it a lot better, and some of the features are a lot better too. NO COMPLAINTS FOR ME!

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Windows vista is alright crashes alot though but windows 7 comes out in november 2009:) So my choice Windows XP!!!

• 1 decade ago

Another vote for XP. Vista has too many problems. One of which is a nasty DHCP problem that prevents you from connecting to wireless networks. Google "vista DHCP" and look at all the restults. Its really tough to go between networks.

• Barry
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

I have been an XP fan for many years. My new desktop is loaded with Vista and it took me weeks to figure out where everything is, had to buy a bunch of new software, and had to buy a new printer due to a lack of print driver options.

• vulcan
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Read up on the mojave experiment. As usual people are working from second hand information. The same thing happened when XP was released.

• 1 decade ago

I prefer windows vista.

In my opinion windows vista home premium is better than xp.

they are both good.

• Chris
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

XP seems easier to use. Vista's just sleeker. Listen to the guy above me =D

the first guy who answered is right

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.