To study the presence of adulteration ( chalkpowder and washing soda) in Sugar?

Plzz Help...........i will need this for my chemistry practical Report.....If Possible...............Provide me the D Link...So dat i can get the correct answer 4 my question..Thank,,,a Lott

First you dissolve the sugar in water. If chalk is found as an adulterant, then on filtering you will find chalk as insoluble. Then take the solution and add dilute hydrochloric acid. If sodium carbonate is present, it will give a brisk effervescence indicating the production of carbon di oxide which confirms the presence of washing soda. If no sediment and no effervescence, there is no adulterant present ( at least these two). Now I think you are clear.

Adulteration Of Sugar

• trikha

Chemically chalk powder is CaCO3 and washing soda is Na2CO3. Both can be readily identified by adding a little dilute HCl. Both will give effervesecene of CO2 gas.

CaCO3 + 2 HCl ----------> CaCl2 + H2O + CO2

Na2CO3 + 2 HCl ------> 2 NaCl + H2O + CO2

Mix the adulted sugar to water chalkpowder will not dissolve and evoparate sugar recrystallizes but washing powder does not