Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationMotorcycles · 1 decade ago

Dirt bike clutch plates sticking together?

i have a 2003 yamaha TTR 125, ihaven'tt rode it in about a month. i went to move it the other day and it wouldn't roll with the clutch in. i pulled it apart and learned that the clutch plates are sticking together making enough friction to keep it from moving. when i pull the clutch in the pressure plate releases but all the plates are stuck together. how do i keep them from sticking.

Update:

i cant roll it. it gets so stuck the bike wont even roll

Update 2:

they are so sticky that they lock up with out the clutch springs even

9 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Scott..thats what happens when they get old

Clutch plates undergo certain changes over time which deteriorate their operating specs.

Beyond simple wear>loss of material.

The term "Glazing" is used casually,,mostly to avoid an extended explanation that a lot of folks would either doubt or not understand.

Your '03 has had a commendably long run ,especially for a dirt bike.

That implies Proper Use and Care.

Nothing You or whoever's rode it DID to make them stick,,,

beyond simply rack up hours of Runtime.

By the same token,,,being a Natural Result of AGE,,,there's really nothing you can Do,or Quit doing,,to restore the thing back to proper operation.

Besides replacing the plates.

Clutches don't work quite like folks commonly imagine they do.

The Friction Plates are "Alive",,they're Dynamic.

A Single Plate observed in your hand or on the bench,,

LOOKS like a Single Item with No Moving Parts.

Easy to imagine how they create Friction during engagement,,,,that's pretty simple actually.

But the RELEASE is a Complex ,interactive activity which occurs on a microscopic level.

And it's ODD beyond what most folks would imagine.

There's a variety of Shade Tree Trix to "solve your prob".

I know them ALL.

All the ones which "work",,and How & Why.

And all the myths and wives' tales.

Reality and Truth is,,,they eventually DIE and cannot be resurrected to a degree which would offer any satisfactory run time..

Only a very temporary fix ,at best.

SOMETIMES a patch will hold up remarkably well,,,but that's not a realistic expectation.

The OLDER the plates,,,the less likely the success of "temporary restoration"

They're USEFUL to somebody who Must ride their bike to work a few more weeks to collect a paycheck to spend on new plates.

Or to dump a bike on an unsuspecting BUYER who'll get a couple weeks of good operation.

Long enough to make them think it was something THEY did,,,

long enough to absolve an unscrupulous Seller from Suspicion.

I mean to say,,there ARE reasons to hack a clutch job,,,ranging from "Necessary" to deliberate scam.

But if you Really want it to function Properly and expect several years of reliable service,,

All you can really do is Bury the Dead,,,

and put in some New plates.

Your 125 miraculously Somehow still has an adjustable clutch .

Very few bikes do anymore.

While you still have Cover Off,,,,

"HUNT" for the Lowest Point on throwout lever.

Then use adjuster on pressure plate to set an appropriate minimum gap.

That will give you MAX Lift range for your New Plates to break open free and clean.

Use Cable adjuster,,,to remove bulk of any remaining slack.

And then do "Fine Adjustment" at the Hand Lever.

It'd be well worthwhile to your engine,gearbox,shifter mechanism,,,and New Clutch to use Mobil 1 oil,,,

either 10w-40,,,15w-50,,,or 20w50.

Right now,,,Mobil 1 15w~50 "extended performance" is probably best overall choice.

It's excellent for bikes,,,pretty cheap,and conveniently available.

It offers more Lube qualities than your bike requires,,at temps your bike will "never" reach,,

and Lasts at least TWICE as long as most folks are willing to go between changes.

Can't Burn it up,cant Beat it down,,,and you're dumping Old oil into the drain pan that's still Better than most Fresh oil you could chose to dump into your motor.

TTR's are VERY Good bikes and a lot of fun.

Yours has been around a while

Fix it right and you'll be able to enjoy having it for a long time to come.

Good Luck

• 4 years ago

Your master cylinder may be stuck open. My 5 speed was having issues with the clutch as well, I had the whole thing dropped, cleaned up, replaced and none of that fixed it. The last time I took it in he "found the problem" and said the master cylinder was stuck in place, preventing me from starting the car and making it drop gears in the middle of driving. Very scary situation, however it was obviously a car not a bike. Hopefully this sheds some light on that, I don't know a thing about bikes but I hope it gave you some ideas.

• 3 years ago

Ttr 125 Clutch

• 1 decade ago

Check the drum that the clutch plates sit in, the notches in the drum where the "Tooth" of the clutch plates fits into, there may be wear grooves in it which are stopping the plates from releasing,also do the same check for the pressure plate notches, if there are grooves the plates will lock into the grooves stopping the plates from releasing. This should be the reason for the problem.

I am not a motorcycle mechanic but I do know a bit about them, it wont cost you anything to check anyway unless you are paying someone to do it for you.

Hope this is helpfull to you.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

That's normal for most motorcycles with a multi-plate clutch. When you release the clutch, the oil is squeezed out from between the plates, and they will stick. It is easy enough to fix by rolling the bike.

Be sure you are using motorcycle oil and not automotive oil, as the oil has to lubricate the clutch and transmission as well as the engine.

• 1 decade ago

to keep them from sticking pull the clutch lever before storage and zip tye it to the handlebar. this keeps the plates from being under pressure. but then this is a little hard on the springs that supply the pressure.

best bet is to keep it started once in a while over the winter.

To unstick them...many times you can remove the oil fill plug and using a small flat tip screwdriver you can reach in and pry them apart while someone holds the clutch lever in.

or push start the bike and ride around...pull the clutch in and hit the rear brake. the will unstick no problem.

• 1 decade ago

Thats pretty common for a bike that isnt ridden. i suggest an oil change to a specific MC oil for the bike. heat it up and slip the clutch. get it gfoing.

i also suggest that when you park th bike for month(s) bungee the clutch lever to the bar so the plates are apart.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

i had the same problem with my atv clutch i just did an oil chance and i had to start it and shift without the clutch for about ten minutes when your oil gets hot it will eventually get into your clutch and it will break loose

• 1 decade ago

Sea Foam, Ride it till she is hot. Change with 10w-30...no Pennzoil.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.