to any indian:what does the red thread worn on the wrist mean?

i'm an indian,but since i don't live in india i don't know what the red thread worn on the right wrist means?i know that its tied on the wrist when you go to temple to pray. but what is it's significance?thanks!

13 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Man,..it has nothing to do with Jews religion,....u guyz are wrong,,.....itz called;.... "Kalava"

A "Kalava" is the sacred Hindu thread also called 'mauli' in hindi. It is worn while performing Hindu rituals like Yajna or Puja. It is tied by a priest on the wrists of all the people attending the prayer ceremony. Kalava is tied on right hand of males and unmarried females, and on left hand of married females. Sometimes it has small yellow parts in between the mostly red string. It sometimes has knots which are tied up while reciting Sanskrit mantras to invoke God and is worn to ward off evil from the person who wears this red thread.

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

to any indian:what does the red thread worn on the wrist mean?

i'm an indian,but since i don't live in india i don't know what the red thread worn on the right wrist means?i know that its tied on the wrist when you go to temple to pray. but what is it's significance?thanks!

Source(s): indian red thread worn wrist mean: https://tr.im/2C9vg
  • 3 years ago

Red String Bracelet Hindu

• Maria
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/ax8Qs

kabbalistically, it represents a small amount of evil, thus causing evil to see that you are already evil and thus, turn away from bothering you the red thread idea comes from the red clothe hung out by the woman in Joshua concerning Jericho.....Rahab Joshua 2:18 Behold, when we come into the land, thou shalt bind this line of scarlet thread in the window which thou didst let us down by: and thou shalt bring thy father, and thy mother, and thy brethren, and all thy father's household, home unto thee. it is like medically, injecting a bit of the virus into you, so that your body will be able to build an immunity

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Mano
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

It is the religious beleif of some section, that it will protect them from ill effects, give them strength and courage.

Even Black threads are worn in South India (Thirupathy Balaji)

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

it is available in hindu temples. if you visit the famous kalighat temple at Calcutta, you can buy one. It is worn more as a prayer towards the goddess of that respective temple and it is a subject of faith. In india, it is called as kangan. It is more of sentiments and as a carrier of faith on that respective god.

You can find one similar to above worn by sonia Gandhi also.I presume it helps you to get your prayers and vows answered

• 1 decade ago

The thread symbolizes a part of the Jewish religion called Kaballah.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    • Pal6 years agoReport

Muslim political Agendas are spreading their own propaganda.
      Islamic have Caste too....."Kill the Kafirs ". Hindu-tva was extremely slow to be born out of the progressive centuries of Islamic Invasion, harassment, extreme violence and the likes towards Hindus.
      Islam is forced on others !!!

• 1 decade ago

I always thought that represented Cabala.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

see im an indian too but i dont know what it means either..? maybe like it tells ppl u have been to a temple??

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.