Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetHardwareAdd-ons · 1 decade ago

whats better windows vista or windows xp?

im getting a new computer and i need to know if i should get windows vista or xp. if u have any idea for good fast computers please tell me.

16 Answers

Relevance
  • Eric A
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

XP; Vista is not very thought out. Very user unfriendly....

• 4 years ago

Hi there....XP is better for an upgrade and forget Vista. Vista is XP with some security features that you, can do without, at this time. Before long, Microsoft will be coming out with another version of Windows, called Windows 8. At this time, there are still some problems with Vista that Microsoft is working to resolve. So, for the money and a current Windows, I would recommend XP.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

XP is a great operating system but it's gonna be obsolete in a year or 2 at the most. Vista has had it's problems as XP did when it was new but it's very stable and graphically cool. Finding drivers for some older printers etc. and older software, games and whatnot won't work on Vista.

The new Windows 7 will be released in a few months and is very similar to Vista in most ways so you might as well get used to Vista.

The XP interface and visual style is boring and old and will never return.

Most new computers will handle Vista without effort. Just make sure your new one has a high end processor and graphics card and has at least 3 gigs of ram installed and has room to add more later.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Depends what your using the computer for, but if you need the new computer right away i would suggest getting Windows Vista because when you buy the computer it will have all the requirements that it will need to meet Microsoft's new Operating System Windows 7 which may be released in 2009 but most likely in 2010. I'm testing Windows 7 Currently and its changed quite alot from even Windows Vista if you can believe that. NOTE: The Downside of getting Windows Xp is that it may not even be an option to get from whoever your buying the computer from and also it will be out of date and not supported by Microsoft when Windows 7 comes out.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • luker
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

If you are experienced with computers, web development, or software development - XP is probably best for you. However, if you're relatively new to computers, Vista is good as it guides you along as you go.

A second issue is how much memory the computer will have. In order to run Vista smoothly, you should have at least 2GB of ram, ideally 4GB (which requires a 64-bit operating system to use).

Hope this helps.

• 1 decade ago

Hi Kevin P,

My name’s Ron and I’m a member of the Windows Outreach Team. I’m not here to sway your opinion one way or the other, but I thought I’d drop off a couple links that might help you out.

First, Windows isn’t shipping XP anymore, so changing to a version of that OS might be a bit difficult. Not impossible, but difficult.

Vista, the most-current Microsoft OS, is widely available. You can get a ton of info about the different versions of Vista here: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-vista/com...

When it all comes down, the choice is up to you, but if you’re looking to run the most-efficient and able computer, Vista will probably be your best option.

Cheers,

Ron

Windows Outreach Team

• It depends on what you're looking for. Personally, I like XP, because, unfortunately, Vista still has a few problems, such as lack of compatibility, speed, etc. However, since Windows 7 is coming out soon (which is said to fix the Vista problems), I would just use what your laptop manufacturer provides/whichever is the cheapest for you, because in a few months, it shouldn't matter.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

lol @ the morons that recommend a dying operating system for a brand new computer.I admire your knowledge!

In few months windows 7 will be out and all these idiots will be 2 OS behind because they have a learning disability.

Even if you want XP is not available anymore.Computer technology as every other area keeps progressing so Vista is your new OS.Enjoy your new computer with a new operating system.

• 1 decade ago

XP, vista has more advanced graphics but XP is faster.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

New computer = Vista

Old computer = XP

New computer + XP = Stupidity

That simple!

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.