what happens after death?

i want to know

When we were created, God formed our body from the dust of the ground. Then He breathed into us the breath of life, and then man BECAME a living soul.

Genesis 2:7

the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.

Please notice that God did not *give* us a soul; we BECAME a living soul. The word (in the original language) that is translated into our English word "soul" is "nephesh" and means "living creature".

SOUL = BODY + BREATH OF LIFE

Think of a light bulb. LIGHT = BULB + ELECTRICITY

Death is creation in reverse.

Again the light bulb, when "death" happens, the power returns to the battery and the bulb is lifeless, and the light ceases to exist. The same is true with the soul as it is with the light. The power of life returns to God who gave it, and the soul ceases to exist; the body is lifeless.

Genesis 3:19

In the sweat of thy face shalt thou eat bread, till thou return unto the ground; for out of it wast thou taken: for dust thou art, and unto dust shalt thou return.

Ecclesiastes 12:7

Then shall the dust return to the earth as it was: and the spirit shall return unto God who gave it.

At creation, we become a living soul. We don't have a soul that departs from the body and goes to heaven or hell or anywhere at death. The breath of life (the power of life) returns to God, and the body returns to dust. Creation in reverse.

The soul perishes. “For as the body without the spirit is dead, . .” (James 2:26)

There is no consciousness in death.

Ecclesiastes 9:5

. . . but the dead know not any thing, .

Psalm 146:4

His breath goeth forth, he returneth to his earth; in that very day his thoughts perish.

Lazarus was dead four days, yet he gave no report of any “life after death” experience. (John 11:39)

The Bible calls death a sleep.

John 11:11

. . . Our friend Lazarus sleepeth; . .

Psalm 13:3

Consider and hear me, O LORD my God: lighten mine eyes, lest I sleep the sleep of death;

Acts 7:59-60

And they stoned Stephen, . . . Lord, lay not this sin to their charge. And when he had said this, he fell asleep.

2 Peter 3:4

. . . the fathers fell asleep, . .

But death is not the end for those who believe in Jesus.

Jesus in Revelation 1:17-18

. . . saying unto me, Fear not; I am the first and the last: I am he that liveth, and was dead; and, behold, I am alive for evermore, Amen; and have the keys of hell and of death.

Jesus said in John 11:25

I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live:

God will raise His people from the dead, to live with Him forever.

Isaiah 26:19

Thy dead men shall live, together with my dead body shall they arise. Awake and sing, ye that dwell in dust: . . .

Daniel 12:2

. . . them that sleep in the dust of the earth shall awake . . .

There will be 2 resurrections, the resurrection of life, and the resurrection of condemnation. (in the resurrection of condemnation, the wicked will be judged and then receive their final punishment: eternal death)

John 5:29

And shall come forth; they that have done good, unto the resurrection of life; and they that have done evil, unto the resurrection of damnation.

1 Thessalonians 4:13-28 gives us the hope of the resurrection of life

For the Lord Himself will descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of an archangel, and with the trumpet of God. And the dead in Christ will rise first. Then we who are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. And thus we shall always be with the Lord. Therefore comfort one another with these words.

Jesus is the ONLY way to eternal life. He paid the penalty for all of our sins when He died on the cross and by His resurrection made possible our resurrection to eternal life. By His indwelling Spirit, we can live a righteous life and forsake our former life of sin. We can have the assurance of eternal life now.

We can, through prayer, have this gift of eternal life and freedom from sin by inviting Jesus into our lives and experiencing His resurrection power for daily living.

We don't have to fear death, but we must be ready for it. For it is appointed unto man once to die, and after that the judgement. (Hebrews 9:27)

The best way you can prepare for death is to get to know Jesus right now by prayer and Bible reading, and inviting Him into your life.

You could pray this prayer right now –

My Father in heaven, I am a sinner and I need your forgiveness; I believe that Jesus died for my sins; I want to turn from my sins; I invite Jesus into my heart and life. I want to trust Jesus as my Saviour, and to follow you as my Lord. By Your power in my life, I am a new person, free from the condemnation and power of sin. Lord, I come to you as I am and I give you my heart and my life. I thank you for your gift of life. In the name of Your Son, Jesus, I pray. Amen.

May God bless you as you walk daily with Him.

Source(s): The Bible
  • BRoth

What happens after death is that you find out what's after life.

In my opinion, the bible is somewhat vague about what happens after death. Even Jesus, who as the Son of God talked about it, but still was somewhat elusive. I have a great curiosity about this, after talking with my grandfather about his near death experience. I recommend the following web site to get you started on your own research. It seems that what people who have died and have been resurrected tell a slightly different story that what my mainstream Christian religion teaches. It almost seems to parallel the Buddhist religion more than any other I can discern. Good luck with your research.

In hinduism Garuda Puran has complete detail of what happens to a soul after it leaves its physical body.Its not so simple to answer in few paragraphs , but in short soul before leaving human body passes through higher dimensions (higher worlds) and undergoes many tests of character and will power...its just the final judgement / exam / appraisal of any human being.Based on his performance his soul may enter heaven / hell / rebirth or total liberation .

Source(s): own
  • Gaura

By change of body we do not die. You or the Soul (Atma) live forever just like everyone else or every soul (Atma). Just like one changes the dress, similarly one changes the body. Death means we change this body, that's all.. When you change your dress, it does not mean that you die. Similarly change of this body does not mean actually death. To appear in a different body does not mean actually birth. There is no birth and death of the Soul (Atma), but the change of body is taking place in our material condition. That is taken as birth and death. Actually for the soul which is eternal there is no birth and death.

Bhagavad gita, Chapter two, verse 16-29 gives further information regarding this.

Those who are seers of the truth have concluded that of the nonexistent [the material body] there is no endurance and of the eternal [the soul] there is no change. This they have concluded by studying the nature of both.

BG 2.17: That which pervades the entire body you should know to be indestructible. No one is able to destroy that imperishable soul.

BG 2.18: The material body of the indestructible, immeasurable and eternal living entity is sure to come to an end; therefore, fight, O descendant of Bharata.

BG 2.19: Neither he who thinks the living entity the slayer nor he who thinks it slain is in knowledge, for the self slays not nor is slain.

BG 2.20: For the soul there is neither birth nor death at any time. He has not come into being, does not come into being, and will not come into being. He is unborn, eternal, ever-existing and primeval. He is not slain when the body is slain.

BG 2.21: O Partha, how can a person who knows that the soul is indestructible, eternal, unborn and immutable kill anyone or cause anyone to kill?

BG 2.22: As a person puts on new garments, giving up old ones, the soul similarly accepts new material bodies, giving up the old and useless ones.

BG 2.23: The soul can never be cut to pieces by any weapon, nor burned by fire, nor moistened by water, nor withered by the wind.

BG 2.24: This individual soul is unbreakable and insoluble, and can be neither burned nor dried. He is everlasting, present everywhere, unchangeable, immovable and eternally the same.

BG 2.25: It is said that the soul is invisible, inconceivable and immutable. Knowing this, you should not grieve for the body.

BG 2.26: If, however, you think that the soul [or the symptoms of life] is always born and dies forever, you still have no reason to lament, O mighty-armed.

BG 2.27: One who has taken his birth is sure to die, and after death one is sure to take birth again. Therefore, in the unavoidable discharge of your duty, you should not lament.

BG 2.28: All created beings are unmanifest in their beginning, manifest in their interim state, and unmanifest again when annihilated. So what need is there for lamentation?

BG 2.29: Some look on the soul as amazing, some describe him as amazing, and some hear of him as amazing, while others, even after hearing about him, cannot understand him at all.

For the soul there is neither birth nor death at any time. He has not come into being, does not come into being, and will not come into being. He is unborn, eternal, ever-existing and primeval. He is not slain when the body is slain.

PURPORT

Qualitatively, the small atomic fragmental part of the Supreme Spirit is one with the Supreme. He undergoes no changes like the body. Sometimes the soul is called the steady, or kuta-stha. The body is subject to six kinds of transformations. It takes its birth from the womb of the mother's body, remains for some time, grows, produces some effects, gradually dwindles, and at last vanishes into oblivion. The soul, however, does not go through such changes. The soul is not born, but, because he takes on a material body, the body takes its birth. The soul does not take birth there, and the soul does not die. Anything which has birth also has death. And because the soul has no birth, he therefore has no past, present or future. He is eternal, ever-existing, and primeval -- that is, there is no trace in history of his coming into being. Under the impression of the body, we seek the history of birth, etc., of the soul. The soul does not at any time become old, as the body does. The so-called old man, therefore, feels himself to be in the same spirit as in his childhood or youth. The changes of the body do not affect the soul. The soul does not deteriorate like a tree, nor anything material. The soul has no by-product either. The by-products of the body, namely children, are also different individual souls; and, owing to the body, they appear as children of a particular man. The body develops because of the soul's presence, but the soul has neither offshoots nor change. Therefore, the soul is free from the six changes of the body.

Life

• Max

Muslims belief is:

After death, ones soul leaves the body and taken to God for quick check of life character and decision is taken to either spent time in heaven or hell till judgement day. Once burried, 2 angels (Munkar and Nakeer) will come to grave and ask 3 questions:

1) Who is your God?

2) Who is your Prophet?

3) How did you come to know these things?

Correct answers will open the side of grave to show hell from which he/she is been saved and will enter in the heaven to wait for the judgement day.

The one who don't know the answer to above will have side of the grave open and shown what he/she has missed and then his/her grave will turn into hell in which he/she will stay till judgement day.

Your spirit immediately returns to God (Ecclesiastes 12:7) awaiting judgement at the end of the millenium (Revelation 20:12).

Exactly the same as what happened before conception.

Ian M

Our soul is freed from our body. Well ! We really get to know this after death.

Catholics: Limbo/Purgatory.

Protestant: Pearly Gate/Hell

Scientology: Spaceship