What OS is better Windows XP or Windows Vista?

I recently bought a IBM thinkpad and it has Windows XP Professional installed but i was thinking of installing Windows Vista 32bit home basic. I need an answer of which is the best i need good answers.

Favorite Answer

Seeing as how Microsoft has been trying to kill XP for a number of years, I'll say that it is a safe bet to go with Vista for the time being.

I use Vista and support for it will only continue, however support for XP will eventually end.

However I recommend you jump ship for Windows 7 when it comes out. It's much better.

Windows Vista is really only useful if you're a gamer and have a higher-powered system. Some games, like Halo 2, can only run on Vista. Vista is also the only Windows operating system with support for DirectX 10. If you're not going to play recent games and/or you're using a laptop, stick with XP. Vista is a glutton of system resources.

Well, that's your opinion, friend!

A little more help:

Vista:

Pros: Works in a new way with cooler themes and compatibility with Windows XP. Nearly all new computers come with Vista and all programs work finely with it. It has a higher protection system than XP. It is very secure and can't be attacked by hackers. It also has fixed XP problems. It fixes problems and has a higher rating.

Cons: Older programs might not work on it. It can slow down some old computers.

XP:

Pros: ALL various types of programs work on it. Clean installed copy makes it go very fast. You can complete any task on a clean copy of XP.

Cons: It is very vulnerable to viruses, including Conficker, the worst virus. It is the weakest system.

Hope I helped!!!

Source(s): For more help, visit: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/xp-vs-vista,15... http://www.infoworld.com/article/08/03/17/12TC-vis... http://www.pcauthority.com.au/Feature/106588,xp-vs... I really suggest Windows Vista. Some hacker-makers and virus developers say that XP is better so that they can attack your system. Also, those who have very old PCs and try Vista end up in a SLUG moving! So they say that XP is better. 100% Guaranteed!

Common users dont know there are 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Windows and not only that there are other variations like Home, Professional, etc.

Depends what you have. Vista 64-Bit Premium/Professional is better than XP Home on a better hardware (hardware is also the key especially the video card :-)

XP Home is garbage if you ask me when compared to XP Professional :-)

Source(s): 10+ Years in IT

depends what you want if You need something that is compatible at all with an old windows you need XP but vista is good for just screwing around on the Computer.

Stick with XP if it's for working mainly and if it's 32-bit. If it has XP, it's on there for a reason. There's no need to upgrade if you're not a power user/developer/gamer.

Even if you did change to vista, some driver's might not be compatible, and your system would cripple.

Edit: People who say vista sucks are complete morons. It's not buggy, and guess what? XP was buggy on first release and at Service Pack 1. I'd suggest for you to keep your mouth shut. XP didn't detect hard-drive's with more than ~10gb's at it's first release.

• jr2007

The basic of windows vista is horrible... Better stay with XP Pro... Eventually, the new Windows 7 will be available hopefully better than both XP and Vista!!!

vista got a bad name running on xp era computers, and when idiots latch onto a point, they don't let go, so vista has retained a bad name. however, it it clearly the better of the two, providing you have decent specs (2GHz single-core or 1.5GHz+ dual-core and 2GB+ of RAM

Stick with XP. Vista has a lot of bugs and Microsoft are actually deciding to take it off there market. XP is much more reliable, easy to use, and more compatible for programs.

it depends on Graphics card memory and over all age of PC

But i would say XP

Source(s): me