Anonymous
Anonymous asked in News & EventsMedia & Journalism · 1 decade ago

How many Indian soldiers were killed in Kargil conflict 1999 ? Some say 2,70,000. Is it true BJP hiding that?

In 77 day Kargil Conflict of 1999, more Indian soldiers lost their lives than combined loss of 1947 - 1949, 14 month old Kashmir War, 23 day 1965 Indo - Pak war & 14 day 1971 War for Bangladesh formation. Many divisions were eliminated , it is learnt. Though real figure is never disclosed but people have a rough idea from media reports. During Kargil conflict, Indian TVs were showing only one Bofors gun firing all the time & Pakistan TVs were showing captured Indian soldiers alive. Many Indian people were saying that it is was pre-planned drama for forthcoming General Elections in India with full understanding with Pakistan's establishment to make BJP win which actually happened too. Later on , figures were disclosed by either side within 300 no of lives lost at either sides. Few years later, Nawaz Sharif said that Pakistani side lost 2,700 men. Later, it was disclosed in the news that the loss of life in India was so many that the stock of caskets was exhausted & fresh caskets were imported very quickly in which allegations of large amount of kickbacks were disclosed on defence & other top Indian ministries. Now some recently retired armymen who were posted in Kashmir state during the war told so many individual & general stories. I too heard many stories. All are ananymous on the point that most of Indian soldiers were of not very cold places having no experience & withstandability on snow heights & suffered so much that ratio of loss of life was 100 : 1 against the enemy. If that is correct, it means that India lost 2,70,000 soldiers at least in that conflict & then casket scandal is understandable. In Kashmir, recently most of the soldiers who want to leave the valley at any cost said that entire Gulmarg & many such places were evacuated of the troops & all were sent to kargil . Only few came back. Is BJP hiding that fact & not talking anything on Kargil even during election campaign. Is the information of that high figure correct ? All Kashmiris happily say so. What is the truth ?

To Reggie : I've visited Kargil, Drass & Batalik sectors. Thanks for detailed info ! but Wikipaedia doesn't give correct infos in all respects. The map itself of that area is wrong. Locals don't buy these stories.

I think both India & Pakistan govts are hiding vital informations & fooling their people. Whatever I learnt from locals of Kashmir 7 soldiers there, never came to media. If I disclose the names of soldiers, they're sure to be court marshalled. It is possible the approx. figure of 2,70,000 is exaggerated but it should be known the exact stock of caskets with Indian army at that time.

vajpayeeji & Nawaz Sharif were summoned by Clinton. Nawaz went but Vajpayeeji shied away to avoid embarrassment. Clinton had to beg Nawaz to order retreat. Still five small peaks have not been returned to India, hiding another fact.

I think both India & Pakistan govts are hiding vital informations & fooling their people. Whatever I learnt from locals of Kashmir & soldiers there, never came to media. If I disclose the names of soldiers, they're sure to be court marshalled. Possibly, the approx. figure of 2,70,000 is exaggerated but it should be known the exact stock of caskets with Indian army at that time.

Vajpayeeji & Nawaz Sharif were summoned by Bill Clinton. Nawaz went but Vajpayeeji shied away to avoid embarrassment. Clinton had to beg before Nawaz on his behalf to order retreat. Still five small peaks have not been returned to India, another hidden fact.

To Kalai saheb : Your anger is understandable but this question is about number of soldiers lost, NOT other things. I know legal aspects of Kashmir Dispute fully, Kargil being a part of that. You're advised to read the book : Kashmir in Conflict by Victoria Scofield, Amazon Books.

To sd : You misunderstand. I mainatain neutral position. I've media & personal infos not coming in media, told by authentic sources, may not be fully reliable as they're not disclosing in a court. India is suffering in Kashmir for 20 years & in many areas controlled by Naxals & LTTE 7 so is Pak suffering in many areas, no doubt.

There is only ONE super power, but that too failed in Vietnam, Gulf & South Asia. Local people support always matters most.

Tell me how many caskets did India have before Kargil Was & how many were imported after acute shortage ? don't divert the central idea of the question by mixing irrelevant things, I'm not interested in them.

To sd : You misunderstand. I mainatain neutral position. I've media & personal infos not coming in media, told by authentic sources, may not be fully reliable as they're not disclosing in a court. India is suffering in Kashmir for 20 years & in many areas controlled by Naxals, Mizos, Bodos & LTTE & so is Pak suffering in many areas, no doubt.

Tell me how many caskets did India have before Kargil Was & how many were imported after acute shortage ? Don't divert the central idea of the question by mixing irrelevant things, I'm not interested in them.

Favorite Answer

hope this helps you?

About kargil war i do not say any thing because i am just like a blind man about kargil war because it was happend before of my birth date but i will say a few words about musharraf that i solute to the courage of the star and i will never see a brave soldier like mushrraf and a bright era like the era of this person.

Firstly, I don't like you at all, but I appreciate your questions - they are really amusing ! Laughs are really limited in today's lives, so none should miss a chance of having it !

Now coming to my answer -

1) Both the sides hid the true numbers. Pakistan refused any involvement of Pak army at that time, & Indian army was suffering to fight against the enemies situating in higher altitudes.

2) 2,70,000 lives in 77 days ! It's only possible if heavy WMD were used by the opponents, but the fact is that Kargil war was only a limited-scale battle. No other fact can cause such heavy(or comparable) damage. The exact figure may not be known ever, but that must not more than a few thousands.

And on your revelation of 'hiding fact', I just want to say that I don't believe on them, because in most of the cases they are petty propaganda; & in a military-dominant state like Pakistan, these things are not something to be given much importance. Earlier many times you tried to establish Pakistan as a 'superpower', but now we can see that your army lost Swat to Talibans, your govt had to negotiate with them(despite of heavy condemnation by International community & many Pakistanis); US made military base inside Pakistan & carried out Drone-attacks in western border from there ; then Talibans approached towards Islamabad, & Pak army started operation against them only after 'slapped' many times by your 'Godfather' US.

The chief architect of Kargil war Musharaf attended a press conference in India on 9.3.2009 even when pak kasab is under custody for mumbai terrorist attack, while UPA is in power; vajpayee was under the boot of Brajesh Mishra, a stooge of sonia; desired pay and allowances were denied to defence forces by AKAntony, another stooge of sonia; during kargil war, defence forces were fighting with unserviced Bofors guns and inadequate arms supply, which condition was occasioned only by the UPA failing to seek adequate supplies to blame BJP by a stage-managed kargil war, which is a conspiracy of sonia-musharaf; musharaf was informed that, if BJP happens to be in power, due to inadequate supply of arms, if kargil war was managed, defeat willl favour indian troops to blame BJP and thats what now takingplace; congress and UPA are pro-pakistanis, because of china-angle, as pak is getting closer to china as Srilanka is also doing the same; so, congress does not defend indians against pakistan and Tamils against LTTE and Srilanka, under the illconceived notion that if pak and srilanka are allowed atrocities , wars and victory in wars, their ego would get satisfied without having to go to China, to terrorise India. A murky strategy of sonia.

• Cindi

INC , i didn't bjp because they are not in the power , but that does not mean that they are pure , they too corruptionists but comparing to the both , the ruling party has huge than the opposition , particularly this 2G scam and common wealth , and allotment of house for army persons .

after kargil conflict the election were held in 2004 when NDA government lost and UPA came to power this is not an issue in present election

God only knows the truth. But it is very tragic that we lost our brave soldiers

u can never find the transparency in govt information

May be hiding.