Why is Immigration such a "Difficult" issue for politicians?

I mean to be it seems pretty simple. Dealing with Illegals Get border control, armed border control guards, this will also help in protecting our borders from drug smuggling, people trafficking etc. Fine all those who employ illegal immigrants upwards of $100,000 yeah make it a lot, so they don't do it... show more I mean to be it seems pretty simple.

Dealing with Illegals

Get border control, armed border control guards, this will also help in protecting our borders from drug smuggling, people trafficking etc.
Fine all those who employ illegal immigrants upwards of $100,000 yeah make it a lot, so they don't do it again :)
No Amnesty, they broke the law why should they be rewarded, with no work as no one will employ them they will have to return home, and it will stop anymore coming.

Dealing with legals

Cap the number of immigrants admitted to the US at a number that the US can sustainably support.
Only allow in immigrants with a SKILL(Doctors, Nurses, Teachers etc) that the US needs.
Only allow in immigrants with a good knowledge of the English language, American history and the American political system.

other stuff could be added, but I think that in large would solve the immigration issue, I mean Im 18 years old and I think I did pretty good so why cant the most Intelligent people in the land, get it right?
Update: Seldon - It isn't the illegals I said I wanted to fine ;) and Im sure the richest nation in the world could spare some money, it wouldn't take alot, but maybe we could use some of our troops in the Gulf and this country needs Job creation so its a win win sitution for Americans ;)