Atheists: Serious variant of a "drinking" question.?

So, people often ask why atheists are on this site, and the usual response is *drink* or something similarly dismissive. While the question has been repeated quite often, there is a serious underlying issue that has not been addressed. Namely, the only reason I can find for the fact that atheists are on... show more So, people often ask why atheists are on this site, and the usual response is *drink* or something similarly dismissive.

While the question has been repeated quite often, there is a serious underlying issue that has not been addressed.

Namely, the only reason I can find for the fact that atheists are on this site is that they want to make their opinion known to others and to try to convince them of their version of the truth.

There is nothing wrong with that per se, but I am surprised by the fact that you then accuse religious people of trying to push their religion on others when they tell them about *their* version of the truth.

Why is an atheist expressing his/her opinion better (in terms of "pushing" ones point of view) than a religious person expressing his/her point of view?

Naturally, you believe your position to be the only valid one. Similarly, a religious person will believe that his/her position is the only valid one. Therefore, from the point of view of "pushing", I find the two positions equivalent.

If you consider that "pushing" an opinion can only occur in the real world (in contrast to the Internet), please let me know. My own position on this point is that cyberspace experiences are just as real as real world experiences in this particular instance. It is just as intrusive to butt into a conversation about religious beliefs as it is to knock on someones door for "belief salesmanship".

As far as the real world is concerned, atheists have shown (with the bus ad campaign and similar programs) that they have no problem expressing their points of view in public. I am not saying that this is intrinsically wrong, religious people have been doing this for a long time, but I wonder why you consider one instance "pushing" an opinion and not the other.

Sorry for the long post, and I would appreciate hearing your opinion.