what is meant by proxy site?

13 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Best answer

Proxy site is a site created for people that want to visit sites that are blocked at school or at work by IT Admin..

This proxy sites hides your real ip and bypass you to the blocked site via server ip

This proxy works well on myspace http://letmevisit.com

Hope this helps

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Proxy site is when the Site actually directs your to a different site that you specified, but the proxy site make the computer and your network think some else is actually going to that website, because proxy sites/servers are from different countries with different IP addresses. So if you go to work or school and find that some sites are blocked by the admin, you can then go to a proxy site, within the proxy site, you can enter the web site address that you want to go, and within that proxy site, it will show/display the website that you wanted to go.

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

In the web surfing world, when a user wants a proxy it is usually to hide there activity. Example of normal web activity myBrowser -> Connect Through My ISP Connection -> "a website" Technically the website I just connected to can trace me, of course it isn't easy but in legal matters it is definatley doable. First part is easy: take my IP address and then locate the ISP that the IP address belongs to Second Part, contact that ISP and ask for the user who was using this IP address at such and such time. With a Court order this really isn't that hard either. Example WIth a proxy: myBrowser -> Connect Through My ISP Connection -> A proxy Site -> "a website" Now it loks like you are coming from the proxy and hiding you actual IP address. Although this isn't entirley true. If there are legal issue it can still be traced because the proxy site knows you IP address. The only real benefit to using a proxy is if you are trying to hide your surfing on your local machine, because your history will always show that you were connected to that proxy site rather than the pron site you are trying to hide form your wife, girlfriend, mother or whatever. And there are better ways of doing that as well. More legitimate uses for proxies exist in the corporate network security world. but I won't get into those now..

• 1 decade ago

Proxy sites are used to get around school\work internet blocks. Proxy basically means "by way of" or "via".

The proxy site changes the name of the website so the school\work filters don't pick up on it.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Basically, a proxy site it a web site that routes traffic through it, instead of your computer having a direct connection to the site. Think of it like this: Instead of you going over and picking up a book from the table, a proxy site is the equivelant of you asking someone else to pick up the book and hand it to you!

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

At school we used proxy sites to get past the admin's blocked sites.

Proxy sites allow you to search the web by-passing any filters that may have been set because in the address bar of your browser, it will have the proxy site and not the actual address that you are visiting.

Sorry I can't explain this well.

Check for yourself,

go to

www.iwati.com

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

a proxy server is a server (a computer system or an application program) that acts as a go-between for requests from clients seeking resources from other servers. A client connects to the proxy server, requesting some service, such as a file, connection, web page, or other resource, available from a different server. The proxy server evaluates the request according to its filtering rules. For example, it may filter traffic by IP address or protocol. If the request is validated by the filter, the proxy provides the resource by connecting to the relevant server and requesting the service on behalf of the client.

===== ========

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

A proxy server is computer that handles your requests. If you instance you need to be anonymous online, you can request a website through a proxy and then the proxy's ip is logged and not yours.

A squid proxy is also a way to connect to a server in order to ask for internet. Squid proxies(or internet proxies) get your requests and return the pages back to your browser.

Source(s): http://codercaste.com - social networking for programmers and computer lovers
  • 1 decade ago

A proxy server has two purposes:

1) To keep machines behind it anonymous (mainly for security).

2) To speed up access to a resource (via caching). It is commonly used to cache web pages from a web server.[2

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Aproxy site, or "proxy avoidance" is used to override/sneak past online security. Many people use these sites to play online games at work or go on sites they arent allowed on without being tracked.

Source(s): Personal Experience
Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.