Are there any anti-male views taught in women's studies curriculums?

A simple question.

This paper contains a critique of the types of textbooks studied in WS and is a great (but very long) read:

http://www.johnlocke.org/acrobat/pope_articles/inq...

excerpts:

"Women’s Studies at UNC-Charlotte, as at the other campuses, asserts the “feminist” label right on its home page. Unlike most other programs in the arts or social sciences, women’s studies programs are free to pick this ideological bias, or “ism,” and shape all their courses around it, in a way that a political science department never could - at least not overtly. No such department could shape itself around some sort of inherent Marxism or fascism, for example. "

"The books tend to focus on the same litany of complaints and false assertions that the programs in general focus on: Women as victims of patriarchy, women as unequal to men in the workforce and as victims of a wage gap, and women as victims of male violence. The books encourage lesbianism, repre-sent marriage first and foremost as a perpetuator of male dominance, advance almost exclusively Marxist and proto-Marxist economic and social views, and fully omit discussing important female figures and movements that don’t fit the left-of-center, feminist category."

My wife took a WS class in college (when she was my girlfriend) and used to report back to me all of the ridiculous and anti-male statements her prof would make. I've heard countless examples since then of similar WS classroom anti-male sexism.

Why is a sexist & anti-male political faction allowed to operate on our college campuses?

I took a couple of gender studies modules. One in particular presented feminist views week on week, including the idea that, in the words of government minister Patricia Hewitt:

"...if we want fathers to play a full role in their children's lives, then we need to bring men into the playgroups and nurseries and the schools. And here, of course, we hit the immediate difficulty of whether we can trust men with children." (From the book 'Transforming Men' by G. Dench, 1995).

More generally, the following idea came up in several forms (stated here in the words of Harriet Harman):

“It cannot be assumed that men are bound to be an asset to family life or that the presence of fathers in families is necessarily a means to social cohesion.” http://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/columnists/andr...

This is the most troubling thing about feminism: it is not merely a hateful little cult, but is part of the mainstream culture and encourages people to be prejudiced against men and create a world where prejudice against men is enshrined in law.

Yep.. And I know this from personal experience.. My college have a feminist/women studies group and basically every single feminist that I've encounter on my campus are bigots/misandrists/man-haters.

Women's studies is part of the feminists brainwashing schemes; an attempt to recruit more member..

Yes, of course, 'women's studies' is a fraud masquerading as a legitimate study. It exists only to propagate the hateful feminism cult.

Feminists will of course deny this and try to depict the courses in a favourable light. (Well, they would wouldn't they?)

• Chris

Apparently, it's only sexism / discrimination if it is not in favor of women. Anti-male is perfectly ok in the world feminism.

It's allowed to operate because our society has been conditioned to have sympathy for women while vilifying men. These courses should be deemed sexist and not be taught anywhere but good luck getting them removed.

I would be more interested in hearing whether or not there were any PRO male views taught in those courses.

• ­­­6 years agoReport

Hah I doubt it.

Come on man, most professors at universities are left-wing nut jobs....for all their brains, they couldn't hack it in the real world so they retreat to their exclusive ivory towers where they can be someone of importance and pollute young minds who sadly are ripe for such nonsense....

Systematic brainwashing of young gullible people and victims of abuse.

I think the point of it is to subvert and deconstruct capitalism and replace it with communism.

See the connection between political correctness and the CIA.

http://www.academia.org/lectures/lind1.html

I see the fems are avoiding this q.

• sam

"I see the fems are avoiding this q."

I've only just seen it, and I don't know what is taught in women's studies curricula. I didn't even think there were women's studies courses in the UK.

"most professors at universities are left-wing nut jobs....for all their brains, they couldn't hack it in the real world so they retreat to their exclusive ivory towers"

Uh, most professors at universities are highly involved in "real world" research.

your not going to get any feminist in here answering this question nicely so get ready for the nag fest thats about to begin. Welcome to GWS by the way.

Source(s): actually from going on your profile i see your not new so you should know what your answers are going to be on this if you get any answers from feminist

No, I took a class this semester and we just talked about women's roles in different time periods and how they were treated and what they did about it.