Could i get sued by nintendo?

I want to make plushies, and start selling them. But say if i decided to make pokemon or super mario plushies, would there be a chance of me getting sued by nintendo for not telling them?

Or am i just being silly?

Thank you for your answers

If you "call" them that, yes they can (and likely will) sue. Just design them similar and call them something different, and legally they can't do anything.

• Ren

Nintendo owns the rights to them. So yes you could get sued if you advertise then, or make any profit from them, I would look at copyright laws and see what changes you can make to the physical appearance of the plushies and see what will be acceptable, alternative you can try to sell your idea to Nintendo by sending out samples etc, but thats an other ball game.

Yes you can get sued for making plushes of copyrighted characters, basically if you violate any such trademark of nintendos they can take you to court. To do this legally you need to approach Nintendo and also give royalties to them, so say for every plush you sell you for a pound you need to give something like 40 pence to Nintendo.

Lucasarts sued a man who was making stormtrooper helmets and they really got the guy badly. (Look at the link I included to see how severe it was)

My advice would be talk to Nintendo's legal department and strike up an agreement with them to use their trademarks and etc.

Its a very likely possibility that you could, Nintendo would have them under Copyright and I think it would be best if you contact your Nintendo Corporation in your Country/State.

Good Luck!

It's possible, but only if they get to find out about it.

yes

it is very likely you would get into trouble

i dont think you should go down that road