Is faith without works really faith?

If there is nothing to show for your faith, was it really faith to begin with?

All I have to say, is that I´m amazed by the quality of a lot of the answers here.

Ya´ll are awesome.

Thanks!

• missy

I remember something my seminary teacher taught several years ago.

Faith is active belief.

To have faith requires an action. If you have faith in something, an action will naturally accompany the faith.

Action=works.

Faith without works is dead.

*Edit* A poem that I was thinking about because of one of your other questions. It fits here, I think, as well.

Believe and be saved

the minister said,

Believe and be saved

and rise from the dead.

Through grace ye are saved

from sin and from hell,

So simply believe

and all will be well.

The preacher continued

and read from the book,

How all can reach heaven,

both angel and crook.

When all had been said

and the church recessed;

With money collected

and everyone blessed;

The preacher retired

to his spacious new home,

In his humble Mercedes

with everything chrome.

He sat in his study,

his thoughts running deep,

He dozed for a moment,

and died in his sleep.

He ran to Saint Peter

and wearing a grin,

Said "I believe in the Savior,

so please let me in"

"Oh no, not another",

said Peter with a sigh,

"Satan's sure working,

the tolls running high."

The preacher looked puzzled,

then saw in a flash,

The plan of salvation,

beginning at last.

Believing is nothing,

if nothing is done.

In getting to Heaven

you follow the Son.

To follow a leader,

you do what is said,

Faith without works

is nothing but dead.

Satan knows Jesus,

believes in him too.

So what's the difference

between Satan and You?

Believe in the Savior,

but always recall,

Faith is important,

but sure isn't all.

Faith without works is dead because true faith always creates in you the desire to do good to others, so if a person doesn't want to help others he obviously hasn't got true faith. However we shouldn't conclude from this that we are therefore also saved or justified by works. Paul teaches clearly in his letters that we are saved through faith alone (sola fide), so James is wrong when he says that we are justified also by works (James 2:24).For instance Paul states in Ephesians 2:8,9:

"For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast".

So that should settle the issue. Paul was sent directly by Christ to spread the Gospel (Galatians 1:12), therefore he is to be preferred before James whose identity we don't even know for sure. Therefore Roman Catholicism which rejects salvation through faith alone is wrong, just as James is wrong.

Yes, both are possible. Many people do good works outside of Christianity. For example, many nonchristians helped conserve the environment on Earth Day. Many people have faith but don't perform good works. They believe that Jesus is the way, the truth and the life, that he rose from the dead and sits at the right hand of the father, but that faith does not lead them to feed the hungry, give drink to the thirsty, clothe the ill-clothed, or perform other works of charity Jesus described as crucial to friendship with God and eternal life (see the sheep and goats parable in Matt 25). Some who have faith do not abandon such deadly sins as drug abuse, complicity in abortion, or sexual immorality. Friendship with God requires baptism, believing Christ and putting faith in him, self-renunciation, repentance to obtain forgiveness, obedience to God, doing what is just and charitable, adopting the humility of a child, eating the bread of life, and endurance to the end. CDF

Well, lets see what the BIBLE has to say about this...

James 2: 20-26 reads...

"Do you want proof, you ignoramus, that faith without works is useless? Was not Abraham our father justified by works when he offered his son Isaac upon the altar? You see that faith was active along with his works, and faith was completed by the works. Thus the scripture was fulfilled that says, "Abraham believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness," and he was called "the friend of God." See how a person is justified by works and not by faith alone. And in the same way, was not Rahab the harlot also justified by works when she welcomed the messengers and sent them out by a different route? For just as a body without a spirit is dead, so also faith without works is dead."

Anyone who is truly "faithful" practices good works.

Source(s): Catholic Christian

NO. You must have both. Sola fide gets you nowhere. The Bible is clear. You can believe in Jesus all you want, but if your actions do not follow it...whats the point? Jesus talks about this himself "‘Why do you call me "Lord, Lord," and not do what I tell you?’" (Luke 6:46).

The Bible is clear

"For he will render every man according to his works . . ." (Rom. 2:6-8).

"For it is not the hearers of the law who are righteous before God, but the doers of the law who will be justified" (Rom. 2:13).

"For if we sin deliberately after receiving the knowledge of the truth, there no longer remains a sacrifice for sins, but a fearful prospect of judgments . . . (Heb. 10:26-27).

"What does it profit, my brethren, if a man says he has faith but has not works? Can his faith save him?" (Jas. 2:14).

"So faith by itself, if it has no works, is dead" (Jas. 2:17).

"But some one will say, ‘You have faith and I have works.’ Show me your faith apart from your works, and I by my works will show you my faith. . . .Do you want to be shown, you foolish fellow, that faith apart from works is barren? (Jas. 2:18-20).

"You see that a man is justified by works and not by faith alone" (Jas. 2:24).

Faith+no works=no salvation

Works is; putting our faith into action. It is easy to say we have faith,

but true faith will produce loving actions toward others.

Commitment to love and to serve others is evidence of true faith in action. You need to seek ways of putting your faith to work.

Because our salvation and even our faith are gifts, we should respond with gratitude, praise, and joy.

We need to remember that our salvation and faith is the gift

of God, and not of works, lest we should boast.

No= In order to learn something you need to practice it and put your heart and soul into it. This becomes your faith. You have to work at everything in this life including learning to love our Heavenly Father.(To love someone is to know them). You have to learn to get to know God before you can have faith in Him. Reading the scriptures and talking to him helps. Kinda like your own family -Stay in touch.

Source(s): Eternally LDS

You need works. "Faith without works is dead" Book of James." Many will call upon my name , lord Lord Lords, but ONLY those who DO the will of my Father will see Heaven"

Faith without works is pointless, because if you truly had faith in something you would act it out in everything you do eg. love your neighbor as yourself

faith without works is not faith. faith without works means you have faith but nothing to show it. you dont pray, you dont spread the word. if you had true faith you would be sharing it. if you really believed, you would be spreading it.