My computer randomly restarts without warning, just freezes and restarts, any help?

I am almost 100% sure it isn't anything to do with RAM but it mostly occurs when I have a few big programs running (Reason being that my friends computer does it and he only has 64MB of RAM and I have like 400 or so MB of RAM) So that solution may be ruled out.

Next bit of info, I don't know if its the temperature because it doesn't seem to be set in stone how hot it can get before restarting (It restarts at different temperatures)

Another bit of info, I don't know what else it could be, but it doesn't "always" do this, it varies from time to time how long it goes without restarting (usually shortly after running MSN, Youtube, or Runescape (Yes I play that from time to time, don't dis on it as that doesn't pertain to the answer))

Ok so now anyone have any solutions? I'm getting pretty desperate...

Ok well I can't take it apart by myself, and yes, my friends computer runs perfectly off of that amount of RAM, weird I know...but it does, and mine doesn't and it has more.

Ok so I went to the computer thing and it says:

AMD Anthlon(tm) 64 Processor

3200+

2.04 GHz, 448 MB of RAM

Physical Address Extension

Another thing, it started doing this once I upgraded from widnows 2000 to windows XP

It could be any number of things and it's very hard to diagnose from this information.

You seem quite tech literate but I'm not sure if you are proficient enough to open up the PC and change parts.

In any case, if you are, take out individual parts and swap it with other parts. I.E. Take out the ram and stick a different ram stick in.

In any case, you're probably best taking it to a professional. And I mean individuals who own their own computer shops, not for example, PC World...

How long do you let your computer run for? If you keep it on for extended periods of time this can happen. Not from overheating, but from being worn out.

I had a Compaq Presario that I bought back in '07 that didn't last more than a year and a half because I kept in on for ridiculous amounts of time. Months and months. It began having all sorts of awful problems similar to yours and the hard drive ended up failing.

If your really desperate, however, why don't you just take it into like best buy or where you bought it from?

Hope that helps

64MB of RAM for your Friend? And you only have 384MB? My god, that's horrible! Nowadays you need at least 1 or 2 GB of RAM, preferably more! I recommend buying more RAM for you and your friend ASAP. In fact, your friend's computer shouldn't even be working, that's not enough to even run Windows! And by Windows, I mean Windows XP, Vista, and 7, which are what everyone uses nowadays.

It may be a fatal error that is causing the computer to restart. You can easily stop the restart problem by changing your system features to restrict automatic startup when your computer's having a problem. Here is how:

Use System Failure Settings to Stop Automatic Restarts.

1. Click Start and Open the Control Panel

2. Go to System and Maintenance, Click on System.

3. Select Advanced System Settings and choose Advance tab.

4. Under Startup and Recovery, click on Settings.

5. Under System failure uncheck Automatically restart.

Hope this helps!

http://www.delete-computer-history.com/windows-res...

I would be useful if you could post your Pc specs, ie what processor, graphics card, operating system. Have you upgraded it in any way or is it all the same as when you bought it?

How old is your pc? It must be pretty old if you are only running around 400Mb of RAM (most new pcs have at least a gig or too)

Update to Windows Vista if you aren't using that. My computer used to do that with older Windows versions but it completely stopped once I started using Vista.

To be really quick with an answer, sounds like its crashing right away due to a virus i would use Ad-Aware to scan for malaware and other viruses.

• Linda

A simple solution to this problem is re-installing your pc . this is happening cause your system32 file is infected by the virus and when the system32 file executes the virus also executes with the files. Thank You I hope this might help you

It could be a number of things,

you must get registry problem. if your computer keeps crashing and restaring randomly in to

this blue screen.

http://www.keep-pc-clean.com/